• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

99 Contour Wrong size speed sensor. Are there different sizes?

Butterbean

New CEG'er
Bought a 99 Contour for my daughter to drive the other day. On the way home started noticing 1 to 2 gear bang, speedo bouncing at no motion, problems shifting through the gears. From going through all the forums and searching them, I concluded to purchase a new speed sensor to see if that would fix the problem.

Went out to replace the speed sensor in a 99 Contour 4 cylinder Zetec 2 liter. It was easy to get to but one heck of a time getting it all out of the hole of which it was in. It came apart in pieces. Ended up using a Dremel tool with a diamond drill to remove the last piece. Managed to get all the pieces of plastic out.

Now the problem, went to the parts store to get a new one and bore for the old sensor was about 11/16" bore. The new sensor has a bore size of almost 7/8" and will not even be close to being able to insert it back into trannie. Two parts stores said the new one I had was the correct one, but it wont fit the bore.http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/images/smilies/ubb/crazy.gif
Anyone seen this one????

The CD4E has two "speed" sensors - the TSS and the VSS. The TSS measures the speed of the input shaft and is mounted on the face of housing that faces the LF wheel. The VSS measures output shaft speed and is located on the top of the housing above the RF output shaft.

Which one are you working on and what replacement part(s) did you purchase?

Edit: Perhaps the transmission was replaced with one from a 95-early 98. Those took a different VSS.

It looks like I am working with the TSS. Now, how do I
tell the parts house what it is they keep giving me the wrong one.

Found one and installed it. Still have harsh shift 1st to 2nd. o/d light comes on after about 5 min. of driving. If I put my foot in after shifting into 2nd gear, when it tries to shift to 3rd it acts like trannie is slipping badly. Driving normaly at about 20mph if I decelarate for just a second the trannie will shift into 2nd. Getting ready to take it in for computer diagnostic, that should tell me something.

What year of vehicle and model car did this atx come from? Was it a complete rebuild? Might need it yet, cant be for sure yet.

Back