• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98+ reflective trunk panel light up?

mncontour

CEG'er
Im sure someone has at least attempted it, but Im just wondering if anyone has attempted to make the reflective panel between the tail lights on the trunk lid of the 98+ Contours light up with the parking lights? If so, how did you do it? I was thinking about possibly attempting this. I wanted it to look something like the Licoln MKX or the 90's body style Lincoln Mark 8's.

What I am working on is using LED strips, cutting the backing of the reflector in a rectangle slightly longer and wider than the strip, mount strips, jb weld sections back in and wire up to plate lights, and reinstall on car. Seems like the most logical/easiest way to do it. I previously tried to drill holes and use 194 bulbs. While it worked in lighting up, it would not fit on the trunk cause the bulb housings are too big.

Are the panels solid? I haven't really taken one a part yet. I was going to get one from the junk yard. But I was thinking of taking the back off of the panel and some how mount led strips around the edge of the panel so they would be lit from the outside edges in kind of like the mid 90's body style Lincoln Mark 8's. Keep me posted on how your project works out. Im just getting a few cheap ideas since we just got our Contour. And its just supposed to be my work commuter. I just don't like having a car that looks like every other car on the road. I like to do small changes here and there.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?63688-LED-Reflector&highlight=reflector+LED

MercLEDReflecter.jpg

Yeah, that was me a couple years ago. They are still holding up and everything about how I did it is in the thread Blu_Fuz posted.

Thanks Joe

No prob buddy. That is still a killer mod.

Your LED link to ebay is dead, but if you type "48 led strip" it brings up a bunch of stuff.

PS, can you please tell us what resistors you used and why? Thanks ;)

Here is an updated eBay link 48 Red LED

As far as resistors, I couldn't tell you. My dad is an electrical engineer so whenever I have anything electrical that needs done, he is the one who sketches all the diagrams up. I will try and find out. You can use different resistors to get different brightness depending on what look you are going for, so individual results may vary :D

Ah ok - so you could wire it in direct to the 12V and have some really bright lights but you can also jumper in some resistors on the + wire to dim them down a bit?

How about running a potentiometer so you can dial it in to bright or dim whenever you want, would that work?

Yes to both of those. A potentiometer would be a great idea!

I think there are resistors built into the LED strip but im not 100% sure. I figured adding a resistor wouldnt hurt.

Back