• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98+ rack and pinion mounting bushings

cetroutt

Veteran CEG'er
so i took my car in for an inspection the other day and i ask about a clunk in the steering that had recently shown up. the tech takes a look at it and shows me that i have a rack and pinion mounting bushing gone on the pass. side. i can't find them any where does anyone know where i can buy a set or does anyone have a set they would be willing to part with? thanks

he is full of ••••. there is no mounting bushing. the rack is mounted to the subframe via 2 large bolts that pass through the mounting holes in the rack and thread into nuts welded to the subframe.

i have checked tierod ends and balls joints, but i looked at the large bolts that pass through the rack and bolt into the subframe. and the one on the pass. side appears to have a bushing missing. the bolt is as tight as it will get but there is stil a gap between the head of the bolt and the rack. i went to the stealership to get a set and they said that they only came with a new rack and that they have discontinued them. so what do i do?

I had the rack out of my car. There is no bushing, just long bolts like noted above. I think your bolt just got loose causing the rack to shift under load making a noise.

so do you guys think that it is possible that the bolt is just backed out or what?

so the bolt had indeed backed out, i tightened it back down and it's not clunking anymore. but should it have been a major PITA to tighten back down? i wen't in from the top and used almost three feet of extension to reach it. it just seemed at times that it wanted to snap off.

so the bolt had indeed backed out, i tightened it back down and it's not clunking anymore. but should it have been a major PITA to tighten back down? i wen't in from the top and used almost three feet of extension to reach it. it just seemed at times that it wanted to snap off.

I have the same problem with mine. I have a bolt on the passenger side that's backed out some (I took the wheel off and noticed it). I am trying to figure out how to tighten it without dropping the subframe. You just kinda answered the question for me....now I gotta go get some extensions because I see no way to get to it from the passenger wheel. I had replaced my rack last year I guess the bolt didn't get tighten very good. :shrug:

yeah i couldn't find a way to get at it from the side or bottom, so i went in from the top. it was a PITA to get to.

Back