• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

65mm Throttle body linkage mod

dukeofsho

Veteran CEG'er
I bought a 65mm from Harrry. Great product! Very nicely done.

My mom used to say “If it aint broke don’t fix it!” needless to say I didn’t listen to her.

Last Saturday I took a trip to the salvage yard to find the perfect linkage and shaft to go with my 65mm TB. There are none. Standard 2.5 are upside down, 3ls are close but there would still be a cable length problem. The only linkage that would work would be the stock 60mm linkage plate. I bought another used 60mm TB to use as parts (didn’t want to cut up mine just in case it didn’t work).

65mm on the left
PICT0037.jpg

- I marked where the shaft should be in relationship to the throttle blade on the 65mm TB

- Using a die grinder I ground down the pressed portion of the shaft that holds the throttle plate in place on both TBs.
PICT0039.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

- After cleaning up both the shaft and plate I welded the 60mm linkage plate to the 65mm shaft
PICT0042.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

- I mocked up the new linkage plate and shaft. I found a small clearance issue at the closed stop. I trimmed down the stop tab and just a little off the plastic.
PICT0044.jpg

- Reassembled the unit using the 65mm return spring. 65mm on the right.
PICT0050.jpg

- Once on the engine I noticed that the plate was slightly closer to the TB then the 60mm. Once the linkage bracket was bolted in place I moved the bracket assembly closer to the TB.
PICT0059.jpg

The throttle pedal feels great!

Tonight I will work on the fully open stop.

Pros:
Great pedal feel
Throttle plate works as it should
Cruise control cable snaps right on in the same position as stock
Stock appearing

Cons:
Good welding skills needed (if the plate overheats you could melt the plastic)
The loss of a rare SVT 60mm TB. You could return it to stock by grinding off the weld and weld the plate back to the 60mm if so desired or pay someone to do it.

More pictures here:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/Dukeofsho/65mm%20TB/

I did something similar with mine, i used the entire 60mm linkage and cut the plate opening larger to fit the 65mm plate. Good stuff.

yep that's how i do it too. you gotta modify the closed throttle stop just like you did there though. it hits the TB housing at half throttle.

Thanks, its just one more way to skin a cat.

Personally I never had any problem with 65mm TB. I just like playing with stuff.

Back