• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3m clear bra

SnafuFlux

CEG'er
who has it, and who recommends it, and who installs it?

Friend of mine just got that new 2007 focus (GFX package one), and I was talking about the clear bra. He's interested. I was wondering if we knew anyone here that gives deals or whatnot.

TIA

Couple different manufacturers on this piece, along with 3M -- used to see one called Autobahnd a lot. Dealers got into installing it because it was a big profit item. Not that I'd want to make a special trip (or any trip) to the dealer. A detail shop is your best bet, or you may be able to just order it up and apply it yourself if you're really brave. It does come from the factory pre-cut to fit your specific vehicle. Unfortunately, unless you can buddy up to someone that stocks them, I don't know of any steals out there.

I'm considering it for a set of brand new headlight housings that I'll be installing soon, just to keep them from pitting or hazing, but I won't be looking to do the whole nose. I may call one of my current discount parts suppliers and see if they can turn the screws. They'll probably laugh me out of the place. Oh, well.

I had it on my car and love it. Sean at the Detailing Shop in Newmarket installs it. It is worth the investment. Certainly save my hood for many many years and km's.

I'm curious...did you buy your new headlights (OEM?) recently, and if so were they at the heavily discounted price I saw tossed around a few months back?

Couple different manufacturers on this piece, along with 3M -- used to see one called Autobahnd a lot. Dealers got into installing it because it was a big profit item. Not that I'd want to make a special trip (or any trip) to the dealer. A detail shop is your best bet, or you may be able to just order it up and apply it yourself if you're really brave. It does come from the factory pre-cut to fit your specific vehicle. Unfortunately, unless you can buddy up to someone that stocks them, I don't know of any steals out there.

I'm considering it for a set of brand new headlight housings that I'll be installing soon, just to keep them from pitting or hazing, but I won't be looking to do the whole nose. I may call one of my current discount parts suppliers and see if they can turn the screws. They'll probably laugh me out of the place. Oh, well.

"Had it" on your car? Why no longer?

I took it off to have it replaced. Mine had been on there for a really long time and it was the older stuff which is not as nice as the new stuff. It was damaged from the rocks and such so I took it off to get it replaced. Just havn't gotten it replaced yet. It will get damaged over time but instead of it damaging the car itself it damages the plastic. It isn't perfect it really does depend on what may hit you. A large stone moving fast that can chip a windshield will certainly leave a mark on the film too. Not much you can do about that. But it is well worth putting on.

I'm curious...did you buy your new headlights (OEM?) recently, and if so were they at the heavily discounted price I saw tossed around a few months back?

Anytime I can, I buy Ford parts -- I've been called a bit of a purist -- so the lights were most certainly OEM. Steve at Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake, MN, has them for $99.96 USD, from memory. They list for about $175. You can reach them at 1-800-328-9552.

I know the Ontario based stealerships have the 98+ headlights for ~$96 each, so that's a complete set for less then $220 after taxes!

Also, if you want headlight or body work covering, you might also want to look into Lamin-X @ www.lamin-x.com. Granted they don't make pre-cut for the 'tour, they do have some good prices on bulk film that you can simply cut to fit and which you can apply dry or wet, so it will be more forgiving then dry only applications.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with the parts guy at Twin Hills Ford/Lincoln in Richmond Hill. He's selling me a pair of '98+ headlights for $76 and change each.... unbelievably good price!

who has it, and who recommends it, and who installs it?

Friend of mine just got that new 2007 focus (GFX package one), and I was talking about the clear bra. He's interested. I was wondering if we knew anyone here that gives deals or whatnot.

TIA

He should ask how they cut the clear film. Some places will already have "pre-cut" templates or they lay it on the car and cut for a more custom fit. The GFX bumper might be trickier - so, I'm assuming it will have to be custom cut/fitted. The hood and any side fenders should be standard issue.

I put them on my fog lights as well.

I'd recommend Sean's shop as well.

Back