• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L question

johnhazelair

CEG'er
So I originally bought my Silfro CSVT from zukgod1.. I was just going back to reread his old posts about the 3L swap he did in the car, and i noticed him talking about how he did not do a full 3L.. He put in LIM plats from Bugzuki.. Was this a smart thing to do with putting in an 04 taurus engine? Can this be changed to make it a full 3L? im fairly new at the engine bit so any advice would be appreciated. thanks fellas!​

A little Deja Vu there buddy. Prepare to be flamed for 3 threads containing the same info.

To answer your question, He did 3L swap with SVT manifolds. These keeps the look and simplicity of the stock svt motor with the benefit of the added torque from the 3L. Going full 3L is possible but doesnt keep the stock look and you have to modify some things to make it work. Then there is the hybrid that uses the 2.5 heads and 3L block, not a common one if your looking for simple.

A search would have got you all your answers. Something that you should really get used to if you plan on sticking around. The most annoying thing is searching for something and have 5 million threads pop up with the same question. Have fun and enjoy your stay :)

"Full" does not mean better. It means 3L block, head and intake manifold. A Portmatched 3L, which it sounds like you have, is a 3L block and heads with an 2.5 intake manifold. The Bugzuki plates make it possible to retain the stock SVT upper intake manifold. It makes for a more straightfoward swap as everything hooks back up like stock. I think your stressing about nothing. :)

Using the Bugzuki plates some porting on the heads is required to make the split port setup from the SVT work. You could make it a full 3L but the amount of work would make it completely unrealistic. On top of that you wouldn't make anymore power and you would have to get a tune to tune out the secondaries. I have one of my heads done and one I still need to start on sitting on my workbench, I'll send you a couple of pics tomorrow so you can see what has to be done to make the split port work.

First, this was not a troubleshooting post at all, it was a question. The threads have been moved to the correct forum, which is the 3l forum.

Next, one post/thread was all that was needed. Not 4 different threads.

Lastly, as mentioned you can not go from a ported 3l to a straight 3L. when the plates are used the heads are ported to match the split port LIM. to go full 3L now you would have to replace the heads with untouched 3L heads. not worth the time or effort. It would be easier to just replace the engine since there would be more parts to purchase.

Back