• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3" straight pipe + thrush glasspack?

svtd00d

CEG'er
i have a 98 csvt 2.5L mtx and i had a question about my exhaust.

a while back i had my exhaust changed from our stock dual to a 3" straight pipe, no resonator with a xierator muffler out just one side. It sounded so good, but the muffler has since failed and im back to a really muffled muffler if that makes sense, its very quiet.

Anyway i was wondering what just a regular 2.5"ID thrush glass pack would be like or sound like with the the 3" straight coming from the manifold? I was running with nothing for a long time after the muffler failed and it was soooo loud i couldnt hear myself think when i was driving (and i didnt want a ticket).

just lookin for someone who has had a straight pipe with glasspack for insight.

My buddy is running gutted pre-cats, sho shop y-pipe, no cat, and a glass pack with single exit through the drivers rear jack point cover......it is LOUD! Like you can hear it a mile away loud, lots of smoke too

Oh crap i forgot about the pre cats that our cars have. I have not messed with my regular exhaust manifold, and im pretty sure its stock... w/ 150k miles so far on mine my cats should still be there right? if its there it should be a little bit more restrictive correct?

and im probably not going to run it out the back, im going to just put a 90 or 45 toward the ground right off the glasspack.

i have a 98 csvt 2.5L mtx and i had a question about my exhaust.

a while back i had my exhaust changed from our stock dual to a 3" straight pipe, no resonator with a xierator muffler out just one side. It sounded so good, but the muffler has since failed and im back to a really muffled muffler if that makes sense, its very quiet.

Anyway i was wondering what just a regular 2.5"ID thrush glass pack would be like or sound like with the the 3" straight coming from the manifold? I was running with nothing for a long time after the muffler failed and it was soooo loud i couldnt hear myself think when i was driving (and i didnt want a ticket).

just lookin for someone who has had a straight pipe with glasspack for insight.

Just wondering cause I used to sell Xcelerator mufflers, but why not just have your muffler replaced. They come with a lifetime warranty if a Goerlich dealer installed them. food for thought. Straight pipe and a glasspack would sound like hell and be almost as loud as without a muffler.

the xcelerator muffler sounded so good, i got complements all around. and i like the sound of that lifetime guarantee but i had it done by a random shop so i dont think i'll be able to have it replaced.

its obnoxiously loud w/ a straight pipe. i like that i can get peoples attention easier, but it almost gives you a headache from the loudness inside the car.

lets see here where to begin.

I have gutted pre-cats, no main cat,a 14'' magnaflow resinator, a flowmaster 40 series, and 2 borla's on the back

all 3'' from y pipe up front back.

it is loud as hell before i put the borla's on the back, it had a horrible drone on the inside.

its still loud as hell, but the borla's removed all most all of the drone.

oh and all custom made by me :)

lets see here where to begin.

I have gutted pre-cats, no main cat,a 14'' magnaflow resinator, a flowmaster 40 series, and 2 borla's on the back

all 3'' from y pipe up front back.

it is loud as hell before i put the borla's on the back, it had a horrible drone on the inside.

its still loud as hell, but the borla's removed all most all of the drone.

oh and all custom made by me :)

can we see a pic of this exhaust setup 00stealthysvt? id like to see how all the mufflers fit

i would consider stepping down from the 3" tubing, except for maybe the tip. on the NA cars you want some back pressure, and i dont think you get much from running a stright 3" pipe. just a thought.

as far as exhaust, on my dd i have the trubendz catless y and a 2.5" dual setup with only a sinlge flowmaster 40. non res. i think it sounds good. sounds like a small block at low rpms and doesnt get any more raspy than the stock exhaust cause i still have the precats. it drones a little on the highway, but i took it on a 1100 mile trip to colorado over the summer and it didnt really bother me.

My buddy is running gutted pre-cats, sho shop y-pipe, no cat, and a glass pack with single exit through the drivers rear jack point cover......it is LOUD! Like you can hear it a mile away loud, lots of smoke too

how did he get the pipe to fit through the jack point cover??! doesnt the trailing arm get in the way? i want to do this to my turbo SVT, but didnt think it would work.

Nice!

Nice!

BHutch i liked the sound of it!! so since your exhaust is still stock do you have two glasspacks then right? and whats the diameter of the pipe 2.25"?

i would consider stepping down from the 3" tubing, except for maybe the tip. on the NA cars you want some back pressure, and i dont think you get much from running a stright 3" pipe. just a thought.

That is NOT why you avoid 3" piping. Please don't post non-sense.

BHutch i liked the sound of it!! so since your exhaust is still stock do you have two glasspacks then right? and whats the diameter of the pipe 2.25"?
No just one glasspack and no cats or mufflers. It's before it branches off to duals. I guess its 2.25 because he just replaced everything with what size the rest of it is.

i like the way that sounded, but i wish i had heard it at higher rpms.
Ill try and get another video soon, and thanks to both of you.

Back