• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3 Liter Engine ?

I imagine you're asking about a warranty that is included when a shop does the work? Well I don't think anybody will warranty it let alone do the work. It is completely custom and shops don't like taking those risks. I know blackcoog sells 3L engines and he may warranty the engine itself for a time, but install will severly effect that so he might not at all.

Thanks for the response. I was referring to the warranty that comes when buying an engine. The site I found on here only has a 30 day warranty which i feel is not long enough when you are spending 2k to 3k.

I work in the auto salvage industry and once you modify and/or install the engine it is unlikely that ANY yard will honor their warranty, as it will be an Escape or Taurus engine being installed in a Contour. Beyond that, 30 to 90 days is the industry standard as far as warranty goes. Unless you purchase their extended warranty. You should give them the details of what you are doing and see what their stance is. Which "site" are you looking at that is charging $2000+ for a 3.0L Duratec?

sounds like he is refereing to 3Lduratec.com. As noted no junkyard is going to warrenty the engine if it isn't installed in the vehicle it is specified for. So for 3lduratec to offer a 30 warrenty, thats pretty good, imho. I doubt you are going to find anything better.

sounds like he is refereing to 3Lduratec.com. As noted no junkyard is going to warrenty the engine if it isn't installed in the vehicle it is specified for. So for 3lduratec to offer a 30 warrenty, thats pretty good, imho. I doubt you are going to find anything better.

Thanks!

Out of a few hundred motors we have only had to deal with one warranty claim. That particular engine had a leaky valve seal. We ended up paying a shop local to the customer to have the seal replaced. It wasn't cheap but the customer was very happy we worked with them to make it right. It is unlikely a buyer will run into an issue if the motor is installed correctly. If they do have an issue and it is obvious they didn't cause it we don't ignore them if it's been over 30 days.

I appreciate the response. I am not accusing you of anything. I am trying to watch my butt if i am too spend a chunk of change that is all. I like your site a lot and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I just recently found out that the svt I bought two years ago has a rebuilt engine and it is performing terrible. I feel like i got a bad deal. I just don't want that to happen again.

I had a feeling that's what he was looking at just wasn't 100% That definitely makes more sense :)

I bought mine on Ebay, and the seller gave me a 6 month warranty. Buts thats if it was going in a Contour. I think?

I bought mine on Ebay, and the seller gave me a 6 month warranty. Buts thats if it was going in a Contour. I think?

If you had to prep the motor at all, which I'm sure you did, then it wouldn't be warrantied. They'd see any block cut marks and void the warranty. It would only be warrantied if you didn't have to modify it.

Thanks!

Out of a few hundred motors we have only had to deal with one warranty claim. That particular engine had a leaky valve seal. We ended up paying a shop local to the customer to have the seal replaced. It wasn't cheap but the customer was very happy we worked with them to make it right. It is unlikely a buyer will run into an issue if the motor is installed correctly. If they do have an issue and it is obvious they didn't cause it we don't ignore them if it's been over 30 days.

I also have one of Blackcoog's engines in my Cougar, installed by a local shop. I have no complaints and Blackcoog was awesome about shipping his motor to Canada. If I had to do it all again I wouldn't change a thing!

Back