• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

225 walbro.

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
Putting a walbro in a 98 return fuel system. OK i whipped the fuel pump assembly out of the tank. The whole assembly seems to be riveted together. I assume you have to drill the rivet at the bottom then remove the bottom plate to get the fuel pump out. Anyone done this ? Next the inlet on the top of the walbro has a bulge right on the end....does the stockie.... i didn't take it apart, i just had a look to see what i had in the tank. Also the pick up opening on the bottom is much bigger than the stock.... i'm thinking that i'm gonna have to file the bottom plate to allow the sock to fit on. Anyone who has fitted a walbro to a return style.. any tips would be greatfully accepted. I searched btw... FST non return was all i found ....G.

It didnt come with a sock?
yes it did. The stock one won't fit on the walbro ... the neck is too small. I just need someone who has done this to give me a few pointers. I'm going to get a spare pump assembly and work on that, can't afford to be without the car. ...G.

pump will just pop out of the assemble. then the bottom plate that retains the pumps needs to be openned up so the new pump can sit straight in it. I used the isolator that came with the pump and the sock that came with the pump and put it all back together ...

pump will just pop out of the assembly. Then the bottom plate that retains the pumps needs to be openned up so the new pump can sit straight in it. I used the isolator that came with the pump and the sock that came with the pump and put it all back together ...
oh man... if i'd known, i could have done it there and then. I didn't want to pull the pump and break the plastic cap round the oulet of the pump. Oh well, discretion is the greater part of valour... Thanks for that... the car has lost power this last week. I cleaned the plugs, air filter, replaced the fuel filter and this pump was supposed be swapped out too. Gonna take it for a blast in a while, so i'll see if its the pump or the other stuff....G.

yes it did. The stock one won't fit on the walbro ... the neck is too small. I just need someone who has done this to give me a few pointers. I'm going to get a spare pump assembly and work on that, can't afford to be without the car. ...G.

I meant the walbro. Dont think usually come with the sock? I remember my 190 coming with one along with wiring and an o-ring.

I meant the walbro. Dont think usually come with the sock? I remember my 190 coming with one along with wiring and an o-ring.
yeah it's complete..seals, crimp lugs, sock, tubing, jubilee clip... sweet deal...i bought it from Blustreak :cool: , thanks chris. I'm doing all the ground work for an FI setup.... G.

Wait I thought you said the sock didnt fit! Time to start preparing yourself for the hum of that pump by humming when you do anything the rest of the day. :)

pump will just pop out of the assemble. then the bottom plate that retains the pumps needs to be openned up so the new pump can sit straight in it. I used the isolator that came with the pump and the sock that came with the pump and put it all back together ...
i chickened out and drilled out the bottom rivet. Well, the plate needed filing so i couldn't see the point of taking a chance. I used the supplied rubber isolator and sock. That plate filed like it was made of butter... non rerrous..all soft i suppose. OK it seems to have stopped my car from bucking but it still won't accelerate properly even though the secondaries are functioning ??? ...G.

My Walbro, that i got from NPG, came with a stock sized inlet for the fuel. Pretty weird cause all the research I have done as well as all the walbro's I have heard of have a HUGE Fuel inlet like the size of a quarter or so. My walbro fits the stock fuel sock?

I spoke to Joey at NPG about this and he says that it is fine! I am still stumped. Need to get my tune already and see if its up for the challenge..

- amyn

Hesitation? How are the plugs and plug wires?
not hesitation... it's just like when the secondaries aren't working...... all noise , no go. I cleaned the plugs (all sandy brown) it has new wires, washed the KN. I replaced the fuel filter as it had never been done and now it has a new fuel pump. If you drive it gently it's fine .. you can feel the secondaries opening but it just doesn't accelerate. Gonna take the cat off and have a look. I'm thinking fuel starvation could have cause exhaust temperatures to soar and melted the cat... any ideas ? ... G.

My Walbro, that i got from NPG, came with a stock sized inlet for the fuel.
what size is it ... 190 , 225. The paper work that came with mine said Ford Mustang 2.3,5.0 GT Cobra. I think the only way you can tell if the pump is up to the job.. without a tune, is to put a pressure gauge on the schrader valve and see if the pressure drops off at WOT or 6.5k rpm at least. ..G.

what size is it ... 190 , 225. The paper work that came with mine said Ford Mustang 2.3,5.0 GT Cobra. I think the only way you can tell if the pump is up to the job.. without a tune, is to put a pressure gauge on the schrader valve and see if the pressure drops off at WOT or 6.5k rpm at least. ..G.

could you tell by a wideband a/f also? if it can't supply enough fuel its going to run lean isn't it?

could you tell by a wideband a/f also? if it can't supply enough fuel its going to run lean isn't it?
true it could... but it could be several other things affecting the readings. Fuel pressure gauge isolates the reading from anything else. ...G.

well; i checked the cat. and two of the three blocks were cracked in half and the third is mashed so it is essentially clogged !! I was not expecting that. Not sure if they cracked or were smashed. The casing shows no signs of denting or any impact. Anyone shed any light from experience ? ...G.

thanks..i was going dizzy running all the possible senarios through my head. Well, i have to get another 'cos i hate the rasp from no cat. The pump sounds really strong when you turn the ignition on. Running noise is not too bad... just have to turn the Jazz up a little louder !! ....G.

ok for anyone interested in a walbro. I got all the creases ironed out of the car and damn. it runs really strong with the 225L/h pump. I've gone back to 17lb injectors with the new pump. I can't believe the car is chirping the tires between gear shifts and the throttle response is really sharp. When i first put the 65mm TB on, i couldn't get the car to accelerate any faster beyond half throttle. Well; that restriction is gone now.... this thing is accelerating at a faster rate all the way to the floor. I'm also running with headers and no CATS. noisy but fun. If your pump needs replacing... definately consider an upgrade ... even with a stock car setup. Hoping to get a chance at checking out the top end ... just got to wait 'til the right oportunity presents itself... G.

one downside i noticed tonight. I was so busy having fun... i let the car run out of fuel. I'm used to getting 30 miles on the fuel gauge red light. Now; it seems to be less....could just be my right foot. Anyway... i put more fuel in (5L can) and turned on the ignition.... counted to 10..... tried to start it several times .... nope, just turned over. 10 minutes later (after checking things over) i tried it again and it spluttered into life then stablized. I think the Walbro rectangular filter does not pick up fuel at low levels as well as the 'L' shaped stockie. It may be the position i have the Walbro filter in... anyone else had any odd behavior ? What orientation is your filter to the pump ?...G.

Back