• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 Engine/Transmission removal.

2into1

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey guys and girls,

I've started to take apart my 99 SVT to change the clutch. My plan has been to pull the engine out the top with the tranny still attached, and then change the clutch. I began working without any guidance, it's just a simple FWD PoS after all! Part of the way through, someone warns me that I need a differential rotator T81P-4026-A when removing both halfshafts.....

Sure enough, I check out the manual, and it states that I need that tool, and that I need to remove the right side halfshaft first, which I'm assuming is the passenger side? I already have the drivers side out, but can put it back in without too much drama if need be. My question to you guys is, do I need this if I leave the intermediate shaft in place? it states that the purpose of the tool is to maintain alignment within the transaxle, which I believe the intermediate shaft would do, no?

thanks for any guidance you can give, other tips and tricks are much appreciated as well.
-Jake.

Hey guys and girls,

I've started to take apart my 99 SVT to change the clutch. My plan has been to pull the engine out the top with the tranny still attached, and then change the clutch. I began working without any guidance, it's just a simple FWD PoS after all! Part of the way through, someone warns me that I need a differential rotator T81P-4026-A when removing both halfshafts.....

Sure enough, I check out the manual, and it states that I need that tool, and that I need to remove the right side halfshaft first, which I'm assuming is the passenger side? I already have the drivers side out, but can put it back in without too much drama if need be. My question to you guys is, do I need this if I leave the intermediate shaft in place? it states that the purpose of the tool is to maintain alignment within the transaxle, which I believe the intermediate shaft would do, no?

thanks for any guidance you can give, other tips and tricks are much appreciated as well.
-Jake.

Never used a tool for it. Just pulled the half shaft out of the intermediate and left it attached to the hub.

I've pulled the engine/trans out the top 3 times. Pull the half shafts (I used a pickle fork to pop'em out) and leave the intermediate shaft in place.

I never used (nor have heard of) that tool you mentioned...

Just recently did this and I just pulled my halfshaft out using a slide hammer and prybar carefully. Once the engine/tranny is out just unbolt the three bolts holding the intermediate shaft to the block and the shaft just slides out of the tranny.

cool deal. thanks everyone.

any clutches to recommend? I'd hate to have to do this again soon. I need a slave cylinder and everything.

have to do this again soon. I need a slave cylinder and everything.

I currently have a organic disk with a stage 3 pressure plate from clutchnet and I'm very pleased with it. Its a very beefy clutch that won't fall apart like the LuK replacement. Or an OEM replacement will do just fine as well.

It isn't that stiff at all actually. I can comfortably hold it at a red light. The engagement point at first was about half way and as it broke in after about 1k it changed to about quarter of the way. It's stayed at that point for about 8-9k now. The slip point is small but you get used to it. But when you do hard fast shifts, it doesn't bite... It chomps. Beans has the same setup as I do, how's yours treating you?

Here's a link, 3 of us took the plunge all at once. http://www.newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162273

I ask because I have a stage 1 Clutchnet PP with the same friction disk and it has really high engagement and the pedals quite high. Also I have the same Friction disk design that you do ;)

Yeah that's what I heard before I bought it. I believe the clutch disk design changed though. Where yours engages close to floor, mine engages more towards the off side.

Back