• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

12 volt outlet/ cigg plug

gman34

New CEG'er
I have a cell phone car charger that i would like to be plugged in 24/7. However, the smart guys at ford decided to leave the cigg plug to out power even when car is turned off. So how do i rewire, or is there a fuse or something that can power it only when the car is on?

thanks in advance.

98 Contour Gl 4 cyl trans axle.

Whats the problem with it being on all the time? My mazda lighters are only on when the car is on and its more of a hassle not being able to leave things in the car charging.

cut the constant 12v hot wire and put a switch on it. :shrug: Or remove the constant 12V from the cig wiring and tap into the 12V accessory wiring from the stereo for power.

12V accessory from the radio unit itself doesn't usually support much current draw.

You should find an ignition source wire (powered only when the key is in the ignition) and run it to the back of the plug. The ignition column AND the fuse panel are both close to the center console, so either place would be a good stop..

Back