• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dead Battery

After 7 years and 142K, my battery died last night. Not bad!

I went on the internet and checked with Optima to see which battery to replace it with. They have no match for the Contour. Does anyone here know what one will fit? I wonder if the 34R is right or should I just go to a parts store and let them figure it out.

Not bad at all!
34R is correct as far as I remember.

yes 34R is the redtop optima that will fit easily if you don't have the metal plates attached to the terminals ...

the first battery in my 95 lasted about 7 years also, same with my fathers 95, the last one in my 95 might have been good still but after a weird incident where the clock and radio reset but I never had a starting problem I got a new battery, that was about 5 years ... I think the one in my 99 was original and I replaced that last year as it didn't survive a load test ...

motorcraft batteries are good batteries ...

I was waiting for you to post. I remember you talking about the Optima previously.

Thanks everyone. I'll have to drive my wife's Saturn until I can get someplace to get a new one. Probably on Saturday since I have to go to Sears anyway.

if you want a Red top 34R you are most likely going to have to order it ... I could not find a place locally with one ... and that included sears ...

hmm i had to replace the altenator and the battery it killed at little less then 100,000 miles. hope everything holds up. i need to trace my grounds becuase my lights flicker and stuff and it melts the ground terminal plastic at the mount to the battery.

probally why the other owner sold it

I just don't want to drive to Lancaster with a dead battery. Call me lazy, but I don't feel like pushing a 3000 pound car 40 miles. I'll just order it online and save $20 and my body.

Back