• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hard starting when cold

lightngsvt

CEG'er
My car is a 98 CSVT w/92000 miles. In this really cold weather it has become harder to start and takes a minute or 2 to reach a "good" idle. It will crank longer than usual and then when it catches it will have a slightly rough / low idle aorund 800-1000rpm (where most cars willidle up to around 1500 on cold start). I havent done any maintenance recently but within the past year (about 11000 miles) it has new plugs and Magenecore wires and cleaned throttle body. Intakes were taken apart and clean about 22000 miles ago. Also notice a slight sticking in the throttle coming off of closed throttle.

My 98 V6 (with 176,000 miles) doesn't like the 10 or 15 degree mornings lately, I saw the Check Engine light blink for the first time yesterday, and this morning it stalled while warming up and I saw the blinking CEL again. I can only assume it has to do with the very cold temperatures.

My 98 V6 (with 176,000 miles) doesn't like the 10 or 15 degree mornings lately, I saw the Check Engine light blink for the first time yesterday, and this morning it stalled while warming up and I saw the blinking CEL again. I can only assume it has to do with the very cold temperatures.
Yes, the cold, single digit temperature is hard on the Contour. Blinking CEL, check the SP wire and be ready for vacuum leak code(s). Get the code(s) read and post.

My SVT isnt throwing any codes what so ever, just that its rough until it gets a bit of heat into it and it idles low.

Well except for the harder starting and the rough, 1000rpm idle for the first minute or so. I know the weather is a big part of it, but none of our other cars are acting like this so I assume something isnt 100%.

my starter is HATING this cold...sounds terrible, sounds like its worn out but i can only get it to do it when its first thing in the morning...idles fine and everything else but the first 3 cranks in the early AM are horrific sounding, anyone else notice a similar thing?

My 'Tour sure does scream the first time it starts in the day when it's this cold out. It makes this horrible whining sound for like 15 seconds.

My car is also throwing the "System Too Lean" codes... P0171 and P0174. I'm assuming (and hoping) that they are just from the cold. They better be just from the cold... I just put the damn engine in the car not even 2k miles ago...

I was curious if you ever found a solution to your problem? I am having very similar issues and hate throwing parts at it.

thanks!

I never really figured out the problem. When the weather got warm the symptoms went away for the most part. We'll see what happens as it gets cold again.

Pretty simple, get some throttle body cleaner spray. Spray the inside of the t-body really well and "scrub" with a lint free towel like the blue shop towels on the roll. That should clear up the sticking. If you are getting sticking it is likely time to pull the intakes for a cleaning. Mine are getting close again but they'll have to wait until spring.

Back