• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I did something stupid!

GRN99SVT

New CEG'er
I was replacing my brakes this weekend. I ran into striped caliper bolt in process of removing the bolt I put a hole in the cv boot.I did'nt find out until I drove it 50 mi. only a small amount of grease leaked out is there cheap way to fix this with out replacing the cv joint? ie putting a tire patch on the boot? thanks

Not sure about a tire patch. How big is the hole? I had a small pinhole in mine and cleaned the surface around the hole with brake clean then put some black RTV Silicone over it, has been that way for 2 years now and no leak. But it was just a pin hole.

If the hole is to big for silicone it is possible to just replace the boot, but that requires removal of the axle to be done right.

sounds crazy , but i needed a temporary fix for the same thing and i used jb weld , but my hole was on the area where the clamp goes and not on a part that flexes, it worked so good i didnt fix the boot for like a year

If you got the ones from autozone, they should come with the LLT Warrenty, I poked a hole in mine when putting them in and they replaced it one for one.

I looked at it today it has a 1/2 slit on the inside closest to the rotor near cv boot clamp put a little black silicone on it today.I will let you guys know if it works tomorrow.

You should be able to replace the boot itself, but rebuilt shafts are cheap enough that it may not be worth the additional effort to take the shaft apart to replace the boot.

i knew a kid that made a boot of duct tape, it worked for 4 days then he replaced it, and he did many burnouts with them on. lol

Back