• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Prepping center console for paint?

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
I'm looking for recommendations on what prep work needs to be done for painting a center console. I'm only going to have one shot at it because I have very little Midnight Blue paint to use, so that means no room for error.

Does it need sanding or no because of the texture of the plastic? Primer tips?

If it is textured I wouldnt sand it at all. Go to the auto parts store and get a can of Total Prep. It comes in a blue spray bottle. Use it to wipe down the entire area that will be painted. Make sure you wipe off all the excess and let it dry in a warm area for a good hour or so before you paint.

If your using a paint made for plastics and the base color is close then I wouldnt primer it, but I would use adhesive promoter. Its made fro helping paints stick better to plastics etc.

Hope that helps. Here is a door panel I just did.

DSCF3016.jpg

Guys, here is another suggestion. If you have a paint sample or a paint code, I have a place local that can mix your paint and put it in an aresol can for spraying. I use this place for alot of my interior work I do. They have different mixes you can use and they have one with a pre mixed adhesion promoter to stick to plactics etc.

Yeah, now that I have some original Ford paint to work with, I may try to get alot more mixed then sell to CEGers.

Here is an SEM paint chart. Does midnight blue resemble any of those shades of blue?

Nope, I tried SEM first, and no paints matched. Then I went with Paint Scratch and ordered their 1998 Ford interior paint chip samples. No matches there either. They do custom mixing, but since I have the Ford paint now, I may try local first.

Nope, I tried SEM first, and no paints matched. Then I went with Paint Scratch and ordered their 1998 Ford interior paint chip samples. No matches there either. They do custom mixing, but since I have the Ford paint now, I may try local first.

If you have no luck there I can help. Take a piece of tan masking tape about 2 inch x 2 inch and spray it with your color. Mail it to me and I can get it bottled up for you in an aresol thats pre mixed for plastics. Just let me know. The paint matching place here used the nicest paint matching equipment I've seen.

if i paint the dash kits and vents etc is this the same concept.

YES.

ONE THING TO NOTE FOLKS.... if you have used armor all or other "protectants" on the car you better prep your surface for a long time or the paint WILL NOT stick. Heat gun to open the materials up and prep prep prep

For everyone's info www.ppgcarpaints.com has MNB (aka "Alchemy Blue" or just "Alchemy"). It's a bit pricy but they've got it. I bought two cans in aerosol and it matches perfect.

PPG code is 95027
Color is Alchemy

I don't see you're able to purchase aerosol online anymore, but you can probably call them and get it.

For everyone's info www.ppgcarpaints.com has MNB (aka "Alchemy Blue" or just "Alchemy"). It's a bit pricy but they've got it. I bought two cans in aerosol and it matches perfect.

PPG code is 95027
Color is Alchemy

I don't see you're able to purchase aerosol online anymore, but you can probably call them and get it.

Man, I don't know whether to smack the crap out of your or hug you! Thanks!!! I found it on the website.

Where were you with this when I had a whole thread going when I was trying to find it from Ford? :p

PPG code is 95027
Color is Alchemy

Man, I don't know whether to smack the crap out of your or hug you! Thanks!!! I found it on the website.

Where were you with this when I had a whole thread going when I was trying to find it from Ford? :p

when i click that link it brings up some kind of search engine site. What website are you using?

Back