• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Now what rod bearings?

I heard something interesting today when I was at the NAPA store. The guy ahead of me was trying to get Clevite valve seats for something or another. The parts guy had said that Clevite/Federal Mogul was bought out by Mehler. Which is as per the parts guy why some products are hard to get now.

Dunno.

I heard something interesting today when I was at the NAPA store. The guy ahead of me was trying to get Clevite valve seats for something or another. The parts guy had said that Clevite/Federal Mogul was bought out by Mehler. Which is as per the parts guy why some products are hard to get now.
Dunno.
You must mean Mahle. The Clevite/Perfect/Circle/Victor Reinz brands were not part of Federal Mogul. They were owned by Dana Corporation until December when this group of brands was bought by Mahle. Dana is in Chapter 11 like a number of automotive suppliers. There's been lots of stuff swapping hands lately.

You must mean Mahle. The Clevite/Perfect/Circle/Victor Reinz brands were not part of Federal Mogul. They were owned by Dana Corporation until December when this group of brands was bought by Mahle. Dana is in Chapter 11 like a number of automotive suppliers. There's been lots of stuff swapping hands lately.

No I am familiar with Mahle. He spelled it out which is why I said it that way, his information may have been incorrect but I am just saying what I heard. Clevite and FM are owned by the same company. Which is what I was getting at.

I got a box from UPS also. I ordered mine from NAPA a couple weeks ago and they came right on time. So i'm not sure what is going on.

Well, it seems that there are plenty still out there just might have to make a few phone calls. I also got mine. I ordered an extra set just in case they do disappear and I want/need to replace them again.

Yeah, they had to order from a few different locations to get me three sets but they were able to do so in only like 2 days.

Wanted to give this thread a bump, too important a topic to fall off the radar. The big questions right now are...

1. Will Clevite be making tri metal bearings once again? Has anyone spoken directly with Clevite?

2. Any update on finding an updated Ford tri-metal bearings?

3. Are their any other means of securing tri metal bearings if 1 and 2 fizzle?

1. Will Clevite be making tri metal bearings once again? Has anyone spoken directly with Clevite?

Yes a friend of mine Matt Steverson who is the head of Blueprint engines called the factory for me looking for bearings. The only bennifit tri metal bearings have over aluminum bearings is imbedability. ACL are probably just as good if not better than the Clevite bearings for this.

Imbedability is probably most of it, but I would also say that same characteristics that improve imbedability (the ability to accept small foreign objects and allow them to become imbedded into the bearing material with little or no damage to the crank) also make them a bit more forgiving should they suffer momentary oil pressure loss.

Tri metal is also a bit more forgiving for fit on a hand built engine.

They are highly desirable for a hand built modified engine, especially when the factory ones seem marginal in the first place. The rod bearings are a weak link on this engine. The main bearings are not, and thus not near the need for tri metal bearings for the mains.

Back