• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moved on

BaBySHO419

New CEG'er
Well I bought a DSM. Its a 91 eclipse GST. Got her real cheap. She came with 3" exhaust, 17" Konigs, Auto Meter BOOST guage, and an Apexi Turbo Timer. thats all as far as i know, it was a quick but and its too cold and dark to really get a great look at her.

http://myspace.com/leaninandrockinda419 ---------------pics can be found here.

it was a choice between a Merkur xr4Ti, A conotur lx (agian) and this.

CHECK THE TIMING BELT!!!!!! If that goes, you will need a new head. Should be a 6 bolt engine in it....they are the most durable. Fun, fast and decent handling....but a HUGE money pit. You have been warned, and start saving for the repairs now.

contourguy.jpg

that made me laugh a little.

Should be a 6 bolt engine in it

You would be correct. 90, 91, and the beginning of 92 had the 6 bolt. 92.5 until 99 had the 7 bolt and the crank walk problem wasn't corrected until 99.

I love 1st Gen DSM's. Be sure to check out DSMtuners.com. Great website.

so does the 91 have the 4 bolt axles? i keep hearing those are the best ones. i know the early 92 is the most desirable one because its got the 6 bolt engine and the 4 bolt axles so it's pretty wicked i guess.

so does the 91 have the 4 bolt axles? i keep hearing those are the best ones. i know the early 92 is the most desirable one because its got the 6 bolt engine and the 4 bolt axles so it's pretty wicked i guess.

It's actually a 4 bolt center diff I believe. And yes they were in the 90, 91, early 92's. His 91 would not have it though since it's a GST and that's a FWD, the GSX is an AWD and would have it.

CHECK THE TIMING BELT!!!!!! If that goes, you will need a new head. Should be a 6 bolt engine in it....they are the most durable. Fun, fast and decent handling....but a HUGE money pit. You have been warned, and start saving for the repairs now.

Yaa, thats the VERY first thing i did. its pristine. the only real problems w/ it are, second gear is shot, it has dings, a dent or two, and one half dollar sized rust spot. :( its alright. My bro has a new tranny for me. and i plan (in the future) to buy a Cyclone Jap motor for her. thats just a plan, if not i will sell it and buy a GSX. I'll make sure i post it on here first if that time comes... more pics and first vids soon.........I LOVE BOOST! :)

It's actually a 4 bolt center diff I believe. And yes they were in the 90, 91, early 92's. His 91 would not have it though since it's a GST and that's a FWD, the GSX is an AWD and would have it.

It's 4 bolt axles.

A DSM is not a money pit if you maintain it correctly. The biggest issue is you get people who spend 1000 in parts to make it fast but never do the routine maint to keep the car going, or they go cheap and skimp on parts and then **** breaks. I'v ebeen a dsm'er for a long time and I can say without question DSM'ers are some of the cheapest peoply you will meet when it comes to cars. They like to make big HP with small dollar comitment. LOL

Go to www.4g63HP.com , its a cool site, laid back and not too many a$$holes on it.

from what I remember, the cyclone was not that big of an improvement for the money involved. The AWD is a blessing and a curse. Launches will eat most cars, but then at the high end it is a vampire for power. There is a 92-94 talon near me that is AWD and a 5 speed. Not in the greatest condition, but has a sunroof and a few other extras on it. I keep thinking about taking it for a spin and see whats wrong it, but I never get around to it. And like I said before, they are a blast to drive but oh the money involved in owning these things. Can you do most of the work yourself on a car? If you can that will help out a lot. Not only that but there is a ton of room to work in the engine bay. I miss my old talon now.....sniff sniff

It's 4 bolt axles.

A DSM is not a money pit if you maintain it correctly. The biggest issue is you get people who spend 1000 in parts to make it fast but never do the routine maint to keep the car going, or they go cheap and skimp on parts and then **** breaks. I'v ebeen a dsm'er for a long time and I can say without question DSM'ers are some of the cheapest peoply you will meet when it comes to cars. They like to make big HP with small dollar comitment. LOL

Go to www.4g63HP.com , its a cool site, laid back and not too many a$$holes on it.

The engine itself is as bullet proof as they come.....but everything else goes to crap. I had 180K miles on mine before I sold it and the engine purrrrrrred, but I had to replace the alt, radiator, all rotors/calipers, coil pack, cam position sensor, 02 sensor....and I kept blowing one of the coolent hoses going back to the firewall. Then after I sold it, the ECU died. I think Demon on this site had one as well, and he had "various" issues as well.

The engine itself is as bullet proof as they come.....but everything else goes to crap. I had 180K miles on mine before I sold it and the engine purrrrrrred, but I had to replace the alt, radiator, all rotors/calipers, coil pack, cam position sensor, 02 sensor....and I kept blowing one of the coolent hoses going back to the firewall. Then after I sold it, the ECU died. I think Demon on this site had one as well, and he had "various" issues as well.

So did all that stuff get replaced right around 180K miles? I dont mean to come off as an ass but if the car has 180K on it and all thats really gone bad on it are things like alt, rotors, coil packs, and cam pos sensor then I'd be happy.

I had a mustang that had more problems then that in the first two years of owner ship and less then 22K miles. Two head gaskets, transmission, and a new short block in the 2st two years.... yeah it had to go. LOL

The ECU's are famous for leaky caps, but thats really a 50 dollar fix.

Demon used to have a Conquest TSi that IIRC ran somewhere in the 12's.

Well I bought a DSM. Its a 91 eclipse GST. Got her real cheap. She came with 3" exhaust, 17" Konigs, Auto Meter BOOST guage, and an Apexi Turbo Timer. thats all as far as i know, it was a quick but and its too cold and dark to really get a great look at her.

http://myspace.com/leaninandrockinda419 ---------------pics can be found here.

it was a choice between a Merkur xr4Ti, A conotur lx (agian) and this.

Good luck with the Eclipse - should be fun :cool: .

Personally , I would've gone with the xr4Ti , myself . I've seen them make a TON of power reliably , plus they're an über-cool & interesting car . I've even seen 'em with duratech's in 'em .

So did all that stuff get replaced right around 180K miles? I dont mean to come off as an ass but if the car has 180K on it and all thats really gone bad on it are things like alt, rotors, coil packs, and cam pos sensor then I'd be happy.

I had a mustang that had more problems then that in the first two years of owner ship and less then 22K miles. Two head gaskets, transmission, and a new short block in the 2st two years.... yeah it had to go. LOL

The ECU's are famous for leaky caps, but thats really a 50 dollar fix.

Nope, it all happened between 120K and 180K in the two years I owned it. I did like the car, but the thing that kept bugging me was the freakin' coolant line. -30 it blows, 90 above it blows. I changed it around 3 to 4 times. It isn't fun changing that thing when it is -30 below. LOL. My neighbor, he had one and he went threw 3 heads on his turbo before he gave up on it....timing belt kept skipping.

that thing flippin MOVES. it sounds SICK too. take care of it. Looks like she needs a little body work too.

Thanks guys. ya she needs a lil body work. im just workin on keepin her running right now.

BTW!!!! I STILL HAVE CONTOUR PARTS FOR SALE!!!! EMAIL ME IF YA WANT EM!!!!! I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs. I NEED TO GET THESE PARTS OFF QUICK!!! 3L uim and lim. GT TB. stock uim. shift boot, and other lil junks.

My email is: babysho.patrick@gmail.com

Last edited:
found huge problems

found huge problems

well upon further inspection, i noticed the tranny was "rigged." its held up by a cargo strap. soooo pissed. i drove that thing 80mi back home. its all good tho. shes in the shop gettin a brand new tranny, and timing belt. atleast ill have second gear now. ;) you can see the pics here myspace.com/leaninandrockinda419. so she'll be home tomorrow. and its a DSM shop fixin it, so i aint gettin ripped by a stealership. there also puttin in a stage2 ACT clutch. cant wait. ill have the fixed pics up sometime tomorrow.

Back