• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil leak??..Pictures included..

fordman302

Hard-core CEG'er
To start off with i have 98 svt contour with 18K on new OEM motor.Ok well about a week or so ago i noticed small amount of what i believe is oil..I didnt think much about it at first..The past few days i have been searching the old Forums about oil leaks ETC..Some people had the same areas affected as i do..Some say it was the oil pan gasket others say the crank seal??..No im not stupid but im not that smart where is the crank seal located at excatly?.As you see from picture one im under the car axle is on my right.I cleaned alittle bit of the area but the area you see near the oil pan was nasty with dirt and oil..Also ive noticed grease on my hood as you will see from picture 2..And the 3rd picture is from the side i removed the tire and splash gaurd.Please if anyone else has had this problem or know of anyone that has please give me some advice.Thanks in advance..Joe..
Picture783.jpg

Picture782.jpg

Picture784.jpg

Check your oil filter o-ring. The oil at the filter has mucho pressure. If the filter is not seated properly, I have seen oil get shot everywhere. I would do a good bit of clean-up around the oily areas, turn the car on, and stick my head under to watch for the leak. I suppose it could be from the crank seal as well, but I don't have much experience with that area leaking. Hopefully some one else will chime in with some more advice.

Hey thanks Tony that last thread i already had read it before..the 5th picture is where most of my oil looks like its coming from..I reach around the valve covers and didnt feel anything soo i just actually went and got a Felpro gasket from advanced..36 bucks later.I guess i'll try and clean up and hope its the oil pan gasket..

The crank seal that leaks is located behind the cranksaft pulley. You have to remove the passanger tire and then the access panel connected to the fender splash shield. What happens is the crankshaft pulley is also a harmonmic balancer. The balancer is balanced of which absorbs engine vibrations related to the power strokeas of the engine. The outer hub is pressed onto a rubber ring of the main part of the pulley. The outer section is what is prebalanced. The rubber either deteriorates or slips knocking out he balance of the pulley. This causes excess vibration which works against the seal.
The pulley goes over a keyed crankshaft. The pully also has a larger shoulder on the inside. The seal rides on this shoulder. When the pulley goes out of balance it causes the seal to vibrate, eventually wear out and then you have an oil leak.
The oil usually will get slung back towards the firewall, get on your alternator pulley which then gets picked up by the belt and somtimes slings onto your hood as you are showing.
If you do have this problem I suggeast you order a new pulley, seal, belt, and crankshaft bolt and washer. All these parts should be about $140 if you pay list from Ford, or go to a dscount internet site and you should be able to save yourself some money.
You will need a pulley remover ( Sears $19.99) a torque wrench a breaker bar, and metric sockets and a large socket or PVC pipe to hit the seal in place.
Once you get the pulley off and remove the seal, put some RTV on the outside of the seal whwre it contacts the timing chain cover, tap the seal in place careful not to damage it. Put some RTV in the keyway slot of the pulley, and I also put some grease on the outside shoulder to allow the seal to slide over it during the installation.
Do not hit the pulley with a a mallet to get it on. If the new crankshaft bolt due to it's tapered end of the bolt cannot catch enough threads, get yourself a bolt from Advance Auto that has no tapered end.This should provide you with enough threads to get the pully staterted. Do not tighten.
Remove the bolt and use the Ford crankshaft bolt, torque it down to 89 ft lbs back it off and retorque. Clean every thing up on the side of the engine and firewall. put the new belt on, your good to go.
Good luck.

Nice write up kevin..Its leaning more towards it being that crank seal,Just makes the most sense.I guess i'll have to get into there and take a look.I have just about every tool you can think of except for a TQ wrench.LOL.I'll have to borrow my buddys i dont feel like buying one im cheap.But thanks again.

Back