• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installed new gauges-A/F gauge useless?

98TOUR

Be Gentle I'm New Here
So I just installed my new faze gauges(Oil press.,Water temp.,and a/f ratio) I'm positive I installed it right and all the a/f gauge does is just jump back and forth and it bugs the hell out of me. I searched on the old forums and a couple people said they had the same problem and that they were useless.I wish I would've searched longer before i bought it-I would've just got a wideband oh well just wanted to see what other people had to say?

hey which gauges you get so i know not to get into the same trouble you are in.....also which one will you get to replace it?

the air/fuel gauge is only gonna show you when the O2 sensor switches. if you really want to know your A/F then you need a wideband. your standard A/F guage is just a light show

the air/fuel gauge is only gonna show you when the O2 sensor switches. if you really want to know your A/F then you need a wideband. your standard A/F guage is just a light show

Yup.

Don't feel bad though...I, as well as a few others, have a useless A/F gauge as well. Good thing I only paid like $30 for it. When I have the money to spend, I'll invest in a Wideband and that will replace the A/F gauge.

Last edited:
Unless it's calibrated from Gadget seller. Still not as good as a wide band though.

true. But the downside to Gadget seller is, they can only tweek certain A/F gauges. I sent mine to them and they couldn't do anything about it. Besides, if anyone wants to do any tuning, a wideband is a must anyways. Might as well go out and buy one of those.

If you are full throttle, and the A/F stays red in the lean section, you know you have a problem(mine did that for a while, til i got the proflow calibrater), also makes tuning my calibrater alot easier!

Back