• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knocking when turning left

svt2sho

CEG'er
ok guys i am having a real hard time figuring this out...ive taken it to 2 shops now and no one knows 4 sure whats causing this noise....when i make a left u turn it feels like my left wheel is getting caught on the fender and rubbing real hard...that is no the problem tho its like a binding noise every time i turn left....my mechanic said alls he can find is bad tie rod ends but doesnt know 4 sure thats the problem he said it may be the tranny what do you guys think? any help appreciated

.....my mechanic said alls he can find is bad tie rod ends but doesnt know 4 sure thats the problem...
Fix that first and see what happens then.

Edit. Let me quoteBigJim.
"One of the first rules of troubleshooting is that you fix what you know is wrong and then re-evaluate."

Last edited:
Check your axles, they sometimes make noise when they go bad. It could be the dif as well, but I'd check the axles closely first. They are much easier/cheaper then a new dif.

Again, read my post above. When you push the clutch the torque is taken away from the drivetrain allowing the part making the noise to have a little free play which temporarily stops the grinding. I still think its either the axle or dif.

It happened with my half shafts, usually when the boots go out the grease escapes then cv joints start to wear and pop and stuff.

yeh its not the boots becase i checked them and there is no ripps or tears...... and there is no play at all in the axles.

ok guys i am having a real hard time figuring this out...ive taken it to 2 shops now and no one knows 4 sure whats causing this noise....when i make a left u turn it feels like my left wheel is getting caught on the fender and rubbing real hard...that is no the problem tho its like a binding noise every time i turn left....my mechanic said alls he can find is bad tie rod ends but doesnt know 4 sure thats the problem he said it may be the tranny what do you guys think? any help appreciated

Why not change the tie rod ends first to see if it makes a difference?
Are your wheel bearings in good shape?

does it primarily happen when it is wet outside or just been wet outside? if so its your cv joints and is not bad unless it starts to knock. my buddies got a 4 runner has the same symptoms. it was a prob with the old 4 runners check those cvs

Probably the differential, I had some similar effects before mine grenaded. The reason is feel like its binding or having more troubles turning is possibly due to spider gears starting to go. I checked out the cv before hand to no avail. Lift up the car, put it in N and spin the one tire back and foreth. This will spin the spider gears to check if there is a problem inside the transmission.
-1 Spider Gear :mad:
1217061317.jpg

Back