• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any feedback on BAT/SP $895 Euro trans?

JTod

CEG'er
Does anyone have feedback on how they like their $895 replacement tranny?

Specifically:

Does a non-modded 2.5 SVT feel much slower with the longer final drive?

Can you discern a difference in shift quality since the internals are supposed to be updated from 98-00 spec?

TIA

i have been wondering the same thing. terry has said that the euro trans is a stronger trans than our mtx- 75's.

I'm sure it shifts better. IMHO the gearing is better suited for a 3.0 conversion. The original gearing for the SVT is ideal for a stock SVT. The only way to tell would be to install it and see.

Longer final drive wouold equal greater MPG and a quieter interior on those freeway trips.

Thats a damn good price for a new trans too!

I was thinking about going with the SP trans soon. Would it be better to have them install the LSD and shift forks, or have it shipped to Terry and have him put it together?

sick minded people in this world...

hehehehe j/k

I beg your pardon! My post was as innocent as Big Jim's. Get your mind out of the gutter. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one on the forums has installed one and can comment. Seems like I have seen a lot of people say they bought them but haven't seen any reviews...

I was thinking about going with the SP trans soon. Would it be better to have them install the LSD and shift forks, or have it shipped to Terry and have him put it together?

Why would you buy an entire new trans if Terry will be cracking it open? That is a waste of money because terry can build it up a blown trans however you want.

Why would you buy an entire new trans if Terry will be cracking it open? That is a waste of money because terry can build it up a blown trans however you want.

with that said, lets say i wanted mine rebuilt and a lsd installed. i sent it to terry and had it all done then get it back here and have it installed. am i really saving money? plus i dont have the tools to take it out of my car. that means the car would have to sit in a shop and take up space when the trans is sent out.

with that said, lets say i wanted mine rebuilt and a lsd installed. i sent it to terry and had it all done then get it back here and have it installed. am i really saving money? plus i dont have the tools to take it out of my car. that means the car would have to sit in a shop and take up space when the trans is sent out.

I'm sure Terry has a few sitting around that he can build up for you, and if not, somebody local could drop off a spare trans. Heck, I have a spare trans that I would drop off to Terry cheaper than you would pay to have Euro trans shipped. Let alone the $895 dollars or whatever they cost.

Just my 2cents. I wouldn't buy a new trans, then pay for it to be cracked open and worked on by Terry to install an LSD, do the focus slick shift, and do his key mod to eliminate the shift tower bolt breaking, etc...

Like everyone has already said. If you want a new trans, pick it up from SP. But if you want LSD and other upgraades, you might as well just have terry build up one of the core's he has. It will be just as good as a new tranny. And if I recall, when I had him build my trans, I had him use one of the cores he had, and then I had to send mine to him after I recieved his. I think it was $400 he charged me until my trans arrived to him.

So $400 + cost of installing the lsd, etc w/ a used tranny

vs

$900 + cost of installing LSD w/ parts etc.

One is just as reliable as the other, as terry wont sell you anything with worn or not up to spec parts.

ok i see . now i just have to save up my money. well i would would do a new clutch, TOB, and spec flywheel.

Last edited:
Like everyone has already said. If you want a new trans, pick it up from SP. But if you want LSD and other upgraades, you might as well just have terry build up one of the core's he has. It will be just as good as a new tranny. And if I recall, when I had him build my trans, I had him use one of the cores he had, and then I had to send mine to him after I recieved his. I think it was $400 he charged me until my trans arrived to him.

So $400 + cost of installing the lsd, etc w/ a used tranny

vs

$900 + cost of installing LSD w/ parts etc.

One is just as reliable as the other, as terry wont sell you anything with worn or not up to spec parts.

Plus, I am assuming that you got that $400 core charge back when you sent him your tranny... so that $900 is really a big waste of money if your sending it to Terry!

o snap thats right. i forgot about the core charge. i could just have terry build me one. then once its installed i can just send my old back for core. duh :troutslap:

Last edited:
When I talked to terry about doing my tranny, he never mentioned anything about a core. I have the same problem i can't be with out my car.

you will probably be without your car for at least a week (while its in the shop)...my diff went and i haven't had a car for like 2.5 weeks...sucks bad....go the core route before your diff goes if you drive the car hard....

Back