• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Folding Seats

arin

CEG'er
Does anyone ahve pictures of what the rear folding seats look like from the trunk?
1570129094.215756263.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

e6da_12.JPG

Or are they both folding? I'm guessing the one that's split folds, but do both sides fold or what?

#1 does not fold. #2 does. Pull the knob (by the trunk hinge) to open that side of the seat.

arin-

and, yes, both sides fold independently- so you can have either side down, or both.

understand that these rear fold down seats don't exactly go down to full horizontal.

my mystique has them. pull handles to release the seats are located on either side of the inside of the trunk.

lakeside

I dont need them to go down that far - would they go down far enough to have 5-6' poles going from the backseat to trunk?

I dont need them to go down that far - would they go down far enough to have 5-6' poles going from the backseat to trunk?

They should, though your poles might be sticking up into the air a tad from the seats not wanting to fold flat without taking the bottom of the seats out.

I don't think mine fold down. Is this something that some contours had or am I missing something in mine?

I just checked and I don't have the knobs to pull in the trunk. It must be something that was just for svt's.

I don't think mine fold down. Is this something that some contours had or am I missing something in mine?

yeah it was an option ... I think that all pre98 may have had folding seats .... my fathers 95 SE with leather does which makes sense and my 95 with coth does also but then again it is a mystique so that maybe part of it.

Also my mothers 99 with cloth doesn't have folding seats but my 99 with leather does ... I do believe all SVTs have folding seats ...

I just checked and I don't have the knobs to pull in the trunk. It must be something that was just for svt's.

Hmm, didn't know my mystique was a SVT! :confused:

Can't remember if it was something about the mystiques or the years. Either way your SOL! Sorry!

Last edited:
It was an option on all Contours. More common on pre98s as they typically came with better option packages (relative to the many fleet-production 98+). Standard on cars with leather and SVTs. Most (all?) 98+ SE Sports had them, cloth or leather. The cloth on those cars was a different fabric than the zigzag pattern fabric on normal LX/GL/SE cloth seats.

It was an option on all Contours. More common on pre98s as they typically came with better option packages (relative to the many fleet-production 98+). Standard on cars with leather and SVTs. Most (all?) 98+ SE Sports had them, cloth or leather. The cloth on those cars was a different fabric than the zigzag pattern fabric on normal LX/GL/SE cloth seats.

Mine is a se sport and it has the differnt pattern on the cloth seats but I don't have the fold down seats. I do have the brackets for the knobs in the trunk though. Man I wish I had the fold downs.

Back