• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ding Guards / 24v Emblem Removal

theSCHAFF

Hard-core CEG'er
I want to remove the door ding guards and the 24v emblems. Whats the best way i can do so that is as painless as possible ? They're just stuck on w/ adhesives right ? no holes will be left behind afterwards ?

I used dental floss to remove the emblems & such off of a few Contours now . Works like a charm - and smells minty fresh ;) ! Don't pull really hard , let the floss do the work . Once they're off , use a quality bug & tar remover to get rid of the junk left on the car . You can use small test fishing line too . There's a HOW-TO on the main page about this also .

There is a hole in the fender behind the 24v emblem.

Though it doesn't neccessarily look bad.
Big Picture: http://www.fototime.com/{5B4FBA73-0F5D-4F98-B13A-C94B17EBFA4B}/picture.JPG

I tried dental floss but if you don't have much patience like me, it won't get you very far :laugh: I peeled the guards off and then the aluminum stuff if that didn't come off with it. Then I put on a pair of thick heat resistent gloves and rubbed of the rubber while blow drying it. Not too hard :shrug:

be careful with the door molding... see if there is a way that you can test what you got going on behind there... I pulled all moldings off, got to the very last one and a HUGE strip of paint came off because there was rust and moisture a brewin back there..

needed the entire door refinished.

PICT0737.JPG

I think many others here have experienced the same fate :(

that was my Drivers Side door.

I didnt use the sting technique I used an old safeway club card and used that to pick the sticky stuff off. Then clay bared the small ammounts of residue, easy stuff. If you need help just holler and I can give you a have with it.

be careful with the door molding... see if there is a way that you can test what you got going on behind there... I pulled all moldings off, got to the very last one and a HUGE strip of paint came off because there was rust and moisture a brewin back there..

needed the entire door refinished.

I think many others here have experienced the same fate :(

that was my Drivers Side door.
Ouch. I didn't know my left side doors were repainted and it turned out like this.

guard4.jpg

Barely noticeable though. Will probably just end up wet sanding the clear coat down and then giving it a good buff :blackeye:

It happens all the time - even on cars that were original owner , never repainted cars . Maybe repainted at the factory when an "oops" happened ... REWORK ! I got lucky (wipes forehead) .
Don't know about yours though ... still stinks :( .

Though it doesn't neccessarily look bad.
Big Picture: http://www.fototime.com/{5B4FBA73-0F5D-4F98-B13A-C94B17EBFA4B}/picture.JPG

I tried dental floss but if you don't have much patience like me, it won't get you very far :laugh: I peeled the guards off and then the aluminum stuff if that didn't come off with it. Then I put on a pair of thick heat resistent gloves and rubbed of the rubber while blow drying it. Not too hard :shrug:

about the whole is it that way on all post 98s?

Back