• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hightower mod question!!

Sooo.. I am baking my headlights.. I have one apart and am working on the second one... I was just wondering the what i should use to strip the chrome and if that is a better idea than just painting.

Any input here guys???

Also what do you think about eyelids painted on the inside???

Thanks much

~Tasia~
><)))+>

dont peel it off. just paint over it with black rattlecan.

and take the stupid orange sidemarker lenses off, it doesnt make anything too bright etc. ;) good luck miss anastasia!

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

just remember its worth it in the end!!!!

I think people just used some sort of tape to peel the chrome off. Stick a piece of strong tape on it, then pull...comes right off. At least thats what I think I remember reading. Can't hurt to try.

i didnt peel any chrome off. what's gonna make the paint come off anyhow? we'll see in teh future anyways....and i think the corner reflectors make your headlights look like they are from walmart...... without the reflector it looks mean

To remove the chrome you can wetsand the bezels with fine sandpaper...it's comes off easily, and takes maybe 10 minutes.

the chrome inside is very fragile, but also resilent in areas... quite the thing.

My vote is to take a mild plastic polish and a rag and go to town. You wont find a better result as it remains shiney.

Also Dont remove the orange reflector. the lights look stupid without them, and on a black hightower you hardly notice it....

lights.jpg

You can hardly see that its there from far, and when you get close it doesnt look like its missing something because of the slats.

Anastasia, many said that duct tape works well to take off the chrome, but use an x-acto knife to score a line where you WANT the chrome, or you can pull it ALL off. You will want to leave the chrome around the bulbs to help reflect the light forward. HTH.

Back