• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing Oil Pan

Myrosia

CEG'er
Hey guys.

My oil pan is rusted and it's at a point it may start to leak.

The dealer quoted me $600 to replace it.

Do you guys know any other way to replace it cheaper or any other alternatives to rectify this issue. If I could do myself I would. ;)

Thanks.

Maria

Hey guys.

My oil pan is rusted and it's at a point it may start to leak.

The dealer quoted me $600 to replace it.

Do you guys know any other way to replace it cheaper or any other alternatives to rectify this issue. If I could do myself I would. ;)

Thanks.

Maria
Welcome back Maria :) . Unfortunately, it does cost that much. They have to "drop" the Y-pipe to change it out. Some CEGers have done it before. If you print the instructions and get a quote from an indy, it might be cheaper.

A "ghetto" fix or whatever the catch word is nowadays, would be, if the "hole" is in the middle, to weld a plate over it and hope that it "sticks". You probably have to add more oil to the engine to take into account extra space between the oil pan and the plate.

Edit. Threads on oil pan R and R
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=973162&Search=true#Post973425

and
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=509832&Forum=trouble&Words=oil%20pan%20torque&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=508463&Search=true#Post509832

and
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=967035&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

and make sure you check out eepals link too.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...allposts&Main=1107183&Search=true#Post1107183

eepals link.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...6maint&Number=254279&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

From 1996 Ford CD for Zetec 2.0L

Oil Pan/Oil Pump Screen Cover and Tube

Removal
1. Remove air cleaner outlet tube and resonators as an assembly.
2. Disconnect battery ground cable .

3. Install Three Bar Engine Support D88L-6000-A or equivalent onto engine lifting eyes (17A084) and support engine.

4. Raise vehicle on hoist.

5. Remove three way catalytic converter .

6. Disconnect engine control sensor wiring (12A581) from low oil level sensor (6C624), if equipped.

7. Remove heater water tube retaining bolt from bottom of oil pan (6675). Position heater water tube out of the way.

8. Remove oil pan drain plug and drain engine oil from engine.

9. Reinstall oil pan drain plug with new gasket and tighten to 21-28 N-m (15-21 lb-ft).

10. Remove oil pan retaining bolts from transaxle housing.

11. Remove lower engine rear plate (7007).

12. Remove through bolt for LH and RHfront engine support insulator (6038).
13. Lower vehicle on hoist.

14. Note: Mark location of upperfront engine support bracket (6028) prior to removal offront engine support bracket.

Remove upper front engine support bracket retaining nuts from upper front engine support insulator.
15. Raise engine to gain access for removal ofoil pan. Support engine with Three Bar Engine Support D88L-6000-A or equivalent.

16. Raise vehicle on hoist.

17. Remove oil pan retaining bolts from cylinder block (6010) in a standard-type removal sequence.

18. Remove oil pan and oil pan gasket (6710).

19. Remove oil pump screen cover and tube retaining nut from crankshaft main bearing cap retaining stud bolt.

20. Remove oil pump screen cover and tube retaining bolts from oil pump (6600).

21. Remove oil pump screen cover and tube (6622) from engine.

Installation
1. Inspect oil pump screen cover and tube and oil pump inlet tube gasket (6626) for damage and wear. Replace components as necessary.

2. Install oil pump screen cover and tube and oil pump inlet tube gasket to oil pump. Tighten oil pump screen cover and tube retaining bolts to 8-11 N-m (71-97 lb-in).

3. Install new self-locking oil pump screen cover and tube support nut to crankshaft main bearing cap retaining stud bolt. Tighten nut to 17-21 N-m (13-15 lb-ft).

4. WARNING: EYE PROTECTION IS REQUIRED TO BE WORN DURING USE OF COMPRESSED AIR. FAILURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION COULD RESULT IN POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Clean oil pan with suitable soap and water solution. Dry completely with compressed air. Inspect oil pan for damage. Replace oil pan as necessary.

5. Clean oil pan-to-cylinder block sealing surfaces on oil pan and cylinder block with shop towel and Metal Brake Parts Cleaner FAZZ-19579-AA or F3AZ-19579-SA or equivalent.

6. Apply a 3 mm (0.25 inch) bead of Silicone Gasket and Sealant F1AZ-19562-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M4G320-A2 to the parting lines of the oil pump and crankshaft rear main seal retainer on cylinder block at oil pan sealing surfaces.

7. Install oil pan gasket and oil pan with oil pan retaining bolts to cylinder block.

8. Push oil pan flush against transaxle case and tighten oil pan retaining bolts in a standard-type torque sequence to 20-24 N-m (15-18 lb-ft).

9. Install lower engine rear plate. Tighten retaining bolts to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in).

10. Install oil pan retaining bolts to transaxle housing. Tighten retaining bolts to 34-46 N-m (25-34 lb-ft).

11. Lower vehicle on hoist.

12. Lower engine into position and support with Three Bar Engine Support D88L-6000-A or equivalent.

13. Install upper front engine support Bracket retaining nuts onto upper front engine support insulator.

14. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

15. Install through bolt for LH and RH front engine support insulator.

16. Connect engine control sensor wiring to low oil level sensor.

17. Install heater water tube and retaining bolt to bottom of oil pan. Tighten retaining bolt to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in).

18. Install three way catalytic converter.

19. Lower vehicle.

20. Install air cleaner outlet tube and resonators.

21. Connect battery ground cable.

22. Remove Three Bar Engine Support D88L-6000-A or equivalent.

23. Fill crankcase to proper level with specified engine oil.

24. Run engine and check for leaks.

Last edited:
The dealer suggested...

I scrap off the the rust and lighty sand it, then use eching primer then use high heat engine paint.

Has anyone done this before and what kind of primer and paint do I purchase?

Go to Autozone or Advance. They sell high temp spray paint for exhaust applications. That would probably work.

And the oil pan is expensive...u better find something used in good condition!
Dropping the Y-pipe doesn't take that much time... $600 is way too much!

yikes, that is waaayyy too much. Get a used pan and do it yourself. I suggest a racheting box wrench to make the work a little easier. I think they are 10mm bolts...

yikes, that is waaayyy too much. Get a used pan and do it yourself. I suggest a racheting box wrench to make the work a little easier. I think they are 10mm bolts...

Do you know if there is any video that shows how to do the replacement? I mean, it's not like I have the facilities to handle this job. How do you get room under the car to accomplish the task anyways.

Maybe it would be better to have it eched primer and painted.

All u have to do is to take off the Y-pipe and then there is 13-15 bolts.
(10,12,13mm) .... it doesn't take more than an hour to do it.

And then u need a new gasket(which is around $35-40) or better use some kind of a silicone...

when i was helping my engine teacher build up a race motor, we just used permatex high temp rtv because it was a custom pan. worked just fine. id recommend a real gasket though.

All u have to do is to take off the Y-pipe and then there is 13-15 bolts.
(10,12,13mm) .... it doesn't take more than an hour to do it.

And then u need a new gasket(which is around $35-40) or better use some kind of a silicone...

easier said than done when you don't have a facility to work in. i don't have a garage so it would be a driveway and there is not much room underneath.

also, you say it's easy, but i bet i wont be able to break those rusty bolts from the catalytic converter to the engine and dropping the Y-pipe

Use some WD-40 and wait a day before u try to take them off.

Go to walmart and buy oil change ramps($35 for a set) and when u are done get back and return them:laugh:

Wish u luck anyway!

Back