• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power steering issues

minger

New CEG'er
The steering on my 1997 Contour 4 cyclinder has been acting weird. First thing in the morning when I start it up, the steering is extremely stiff while I back out of the drive way. After I have cranked the wheel once or so, it then works fine. Only happens after the car has been sitting for over night or while i am at work at all day. When I checked the fluid, it was okay(I think though I probbaly should check it again I guess). Is it the pump? Air is the line? This is new territory for me.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Minger

It could be either the pump or air in the fluid.

But my money is on "dirty PS fluid with moisture". When was the last time the fluid was flushed? Try that first. In fact, this is the most easy fluid to "flush" as the fluid circulates. Use a turkey baster to suck out the fluid from the reservoir, fill with new fluid. Then drive for a few days. Repeat a few more times until the fluid in the reservoir has the same color and consistency of the new fluid in the bottle.

Or spent $70 and have the shop flush it for you. ;) Should take them about 1 hour or so to flush it.

Good call. Makes sense. I'll give that a go this weekend. Thanks.

Minger

PS No, I have never flushed it.

Back