• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Quick headlight question

Zakkobon

New CEG'er
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been asked 1,000 times before...but I'm trying to find a better solution to my hazy headlight problem than just buying a new pair that will just get hazy again in a few months! Would headlights from the Mk2 Mondeo bolt on directly to my 2000 SVT? I've also heard they are glass...is that true?

I have a buddy over in England with the Air Force that could easily bring me a pair back next time he's on leave.

I don't think that mondeo lights bolt up. What you can do is wet sand your headlights and then clearcoat them. It removes the haze and lasts quite well for a couple of hours work. Mine look like new after doing them. Search around a bit on the old forums for details of the process, theres some pretty good instructions kicking around.

No mondeo lights will not work

No your brand new OEM lights will not haze over in a months time.

wetsanding and even clearcoating will eventually lead to hazey again lights. You have to consider that lights that are hazed now have often been on the car for 5+ years!

Apply and keep liberal coats of wax ( I prefer a synthetic sealant) on the lights.

Before wet sanding, try Meguiars 3 stage plastic cleaner system. Basically it has a cleaner, polishing compound, and protectant/thin wax. The polish helps to lightly remove the scratches/bumps in the plastic that make it look hazy. When a surface is extremely smooth, that's when it will reflect well, or have that wet glossy look... such as new headlights.

Wet sanding is doing the EXACT same thing. The difference is that you're taking more plastic off of the head light in order to get it smooth again (which is sometimes needed). The clear coat is a more permenant solution to waxing. The only problem is that a clear coat is much harder to fix/repair so that it looks just like it did when you first wet sanded and applied the clear coat. The cleaning/polish/wax method doens't last as long, but it's super easy to do, and fast as well.

Product Info, just in case you're interested. You can use this product on any plastic surface (tail lights too) to bring that gloss look back out.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/prod...aze Brand)>Clear Plastic Care&sectionID=34101

Take it from someone who had heavily hazed headlights: Don't bother with the "Plastic Cleaner" or any type of plastic polish. They simply do not have heavy enough abrasives to remove the hazing.

If this is the first time you've done this, it isn't the plastic itself that has hazed. The lights come with a coating that is intended to protect the plastic from UV and debris damage. The coating is what has hazed and must be removed. Wet sanding is the best way to renew your lights if they are heavily hazed.

What you will need:
A bucket of water
Misc. sandpaper in the following grits: 200 (optional), 400, 800, 1000, 2000
Rubbing compound (usually red)
Polishing compound (usually white)
Clear coat w/ UV inhibitor

Begin by dipping your sandpaper in the water and sanding the lights. Begin with the roughest grit (200 or 400) and sand in one direction periodically dipping your sandpaper in the water to rinse/renew it. After a good sanding in one direction, switch and sand exclusively in the other direction. When the light is good and milky looking, switch to the next highest grit and repeat the process. Sand the light in this manner up through the 800 or 1000 grit.

Now you should be ready for the clear. The light will still appear cloudy. Don't worry, this will disappear when the clear is applied. Clean the light with a lint free cloth and water. Spray several light coats of clear, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly.

After several coats are on, wet sand again. This time starting with the 1000 grit, then moving to the 2000 grit. Be extra careful not to sand completely through the clear you've applied. After wet sanding with 2000 grit, move on to the rubbing compound. Once that's been applied and removed, move on to the polishing compound. When finished, your lights should look as good as they did new.

You can probably skip a few grits and maybe the rubbing compound that I've listed. But if you want truly stellar results from your work, use all the steps.

Take it from someone who had heavily hazed headlights: Don't bother with the "Plastic Cleaner" or any type of plastic polish. They simply do not have heavy enough abrasives to remove the hazing.

If this is the first time you've done this, it isn't the plastic itself that has hazed. The lights come with a coating that is intended to protect the plastic from UV and debris damage. The coating is what has hazed and must be removed. Wet sanding is the best way to renew your lights if they are heavily hazed.

What you will need:
A bucket of water
Misc. sandpaper in the following grits: 200 (optional), 400, 800, 1000, 2000
Rubbing compound (usually red)
Polishing compound (usually white)
Clear coat w/ UV inhibitor

Begin by dipping your sandpaper in the water and sanding the lights. Begin with the roughest grit (200 or 400) and sand in one direction periodically dipping your sandpaper in the water to rinse/renew it. After a good sanding in one direction, switch and sand exclusively in the other direction. When the light is good and milky looking, switch to the next highest grit and repeat the process. Sand the light in this manner up through the 800 or 1000 grit.

Now you should be ready for the clear. The light will still appear cloudy. Don't worry, this will disappear when the clear is applied. Clean the light with a lint free cloth and water. Spray several light coats of clear, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly.

After several coats are on, wet sand again. This time starting with the 1000 grit, then moving to the 2000 grit. Be extra careful not to sand completely through the clear you've applied. After wet sanding with 2000 grit, move on to the rubbing compound. Once that's been applied and removed, move on to the polishing compound. When finished, your lights should look as good as they did new.

You can probably skip a few grits and maybe the rubbing compound that I've listed. But if you want truly stellar results from your work, use all the steps.

I stand corrected... I didn't realize that the contour headlights had the coating on the outside. I used the 3 step Meguiars process on my Mercury Tracer headlights, and on my Nissan 240sx headlights, and it worked pretty well for those. This just goes to show you how important other people's experiences with contours is.

TNX IRingTwyce :cool:

Just one question?

Just one question?

I have a 96 contour. how do i fix the headlights? they are quite hazed over. and does anyone have any suggestions for better lights for my car that won't melt anything?

Back