• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

heating

8000RPM

CEG'er
sometimes, in cold days, my car stops blowing out hot air when I come to a stop light. I strats blowing cool air, and then when I start driving again, the heat comes back on...why?

well temp gauge stays the same. doesn't go up. it happened for the first time last winter, and now happens every now and then. its weird. i was also thinking of m water pump, but car doesn't overheat. (sometimes in traffic it does, but that's because of that low fan speed relay everyone is talking about...i think). and besides, if the water pump is going bad, it should have gone long ago. after all its been a year since it did that for the first time. i have 112k miles on the svt, and i bought it at 59k miles...i never changed the water pump, so i assume it is the original one...yeah, i know what you are thinking:))

yeah, i haven't changed it yet. i have been thinking of doing it, just for the heck of it, but it's too cold now. coolant is at ok level. sometimes it goes to the max level and the light comes, but doesnt happen often. i never see coolant leaks below the engine bay.

Make sure when you do replace it, get the one with the metal impeallar, not the plastic one.
The black plastic impeller is bad. The white plastic impeller (found in all 99-00 Contours and available at NAPA I think) is fine. Some people recommend the white plastic impeller over the metal one.

When you replace the water pump with a NAPA one, what exactly are you getting? the whole pump or just the impeller? if just the impeller, how do you install that?

Thanks,
Adam

I'd be inclined to go along with the water pump concerns except I've not had a working heater for ages (it's intermittent) and I've got a new pump in there and the old one wasn't broken either but had a leak instead. I know in my case it probably has to do with the HVAC not working the heater doors somehow but haven't figured it out yet. I suppose you could have a clog in the heater lines somewhere. When's the last time you flushed out the coolant?
Karl

order a water pump from Teamfordpart.com as you get a whole new housing and pump with hoses, iirc its about $90

Back