• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tires, 215/50-16. Discuss!

m1lgram

CEG'er
So, I've trudged around in the OEM Firestones (look nice, not condusive for driving), and I'm about 25,000 miles into my BF Goodrich Traction T/A's (darty, refuse to stay balanced, not surefooted whatsoever at this point). Now, I've spotted some BF Goodrich Comp T/A VR4 tires for less than a hundred dollars apiece. Does anybody have any experience with these tires in comparison to the others? Disappointed in the selection at this size, it looks like I'm stuck between the two BFG's, living in a snowy area (Maine). What should I purchase next?

You may be able to get a wider selection by changing the size of the tire. I'm running a 225/50/16, Falken Ziex 512's. A bit wider than stock, but not too tall either. That is the size tire I'm going to stick with when I get my next set. I doesn't seem to throw the speedo off too much, either. Maybe 2-3 mph.

Best tire in that size is either the BFG KDW which was OEM on the SVT or the Avon's.

Both sold at TireRack.

DiscountTireDirect is cheaper for the KDW though. $123/tire shipped.

Here's a stupid question for you. I've never bought anything *but* the manufacturer's recommended tire size. Can I put 225's on the stock rims? Money is a huge deciding factor here, so new rims are out of the question at the moment.

Another question: Don't the 225's plow quite a bit of snow? Winter traction is also paramount.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks!

I am running 225/50/16 Khumo SPT's on factory rims with no problem at all.

If you are looking for good snow traction the BFG KDW's are not you and neither are the SPT's.

Inquire about the Khumo ESCTA AST. They are $59 a tire from Tire Rack.

i have continental conit extreme contacts, i was driving in 3 inches of new snow ona don some nasty roads yesterday and they proved theyre waight in gold, not a bit of slippage unless i wated them too... even on a few uphill starts. i love them, theyre an all season from tirerack
-Jon

Excellent, everybody. It looks like 225 is the way to go. I'll check out the tirerack reviews, and update and inquire further if necessary.

Thanks, all :)

When my original tires needed replacing, I went to 225/50ZR16 and have had them ever since. During that time I have had Continental 4000H, BFG KDWS (truly a junk tire, but it is a four season tire), and Dayton Daytona ZR tires on it. By far, the Daytons have been the best tire. It is a Bridgestone brand and is very similar to their 070. It is also very similar or perhaps identical to another Bridgestone brand, the Fuzion. The tread pattern looks identical. I don't know if it is an all season tire though, but it does handle very well in the rain.

If you are having difficulty specially in snow/ice check into some NOKIAN tires. I believe they are made in Sweden. A friend in Massachusetts swears by them. No need for that type of tire here in Calif and we get by on the BFG touring TA on our Contour with no complaints.

Russ

So, I've trudged around in the OEM Firestones (look nice, not condusive for driving), and I'm about 25,000 miles into my BF Goodrich Traction T/A's (darty, refuse to stay balanced, not surefooted whatsoever at this point). Now, I've spotted some BF Goodrich Comp T/A VR4 tires for less than a hundred dollars apiece. Does anybody have any experience with these tires in comparison to the others? Disappointed in the selection at this size, it looks like I'm stuck between the two BFG's, living in a snowy area (Maine). What should I purchase next?

If you live in Maine, you need a dedicated set of narrow winter tires - period. Don't mess around with "all season" radials. You can pick up a set fo 14" or 15" steelies or even alloys pretty cheap.

I have BFG Traction T/A V rated. Very nice.
I may pick up another set when this set is done -- which would be another year or two. The thread life is really great on this tire. No complaint.

Im running BFGOODRICH G-SPORT 225/55/16 on my Contour SVT and have no problems at all...I also got these brand new for $95 SHIPPED for each tire...

Pics of 225/50/16's and 225/45/16's and maybe some 215/50/16's would help with a comparo for everyone. I dont have any good pics up yet to post of the stock size. I would be intrested in switching to 225's if they look okay.

225/50/zr16

DSCF0463.jpg

Back