• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

poor gas milage on Zetek MTX

Ric

CEG'er
I'm getting ~26 mpg. Seems rather poor for a 4/MTX, I'll prob replace the plugs 1st. Is there any other quick/simple task that would give better milage?
One note is that the temp gauge needle barely gets out of the white block, never in the normal range. Could this be from a faulty sending unit?
Also, when idleing, the TACH sometimes cycles between 700-1100 RPM, won't hold steady.
The Check Engine Light was on when I bought it, (excessive lean code), replaced the air filter, disconnected the battery, and it hasn't come back on (~1000 miles ago).

Thanks

All CEL concerns need to addressed soon. That is one reason for low mileage. Your lean code could be due to a vacuum leak. That sends the PCM to "limp" mode which causes bad mileage. As for the "barely out of cold on the gauge", you probably have the DEF or DEF/FLR on in the cold winter months. That and a bad thermostat (stuck on open) could cause low mileage too. With a stuck on open thermostat, the car is taking a longer time to get to normal operating temperature resulting in "rich" conditions.

I think your low temp reading might be a bad SENDER. Im in the middle of getting around to fixing the same problem in my 4cylinder contour as well. I will let you know if that is the fix.

Zetec*

and 26 combined driving? sounds about right, thats what I got with my old tour.

Zetec*

and 26 combined driving? sounds about right, thats what I got with my old tour.

I'd kill for that kind of mileage. I'm barely getting 20 in the zetec now. I get better gas mileage with the V-6 Mystique. I think my problem is a stuck/bad injector and/or a bent valve. It's causing a lean code & dumping fuel like crazy into the engine. I've replaced every tube & hose, replaced the intake piping, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, replaced the exhaust manifolds & gaskets when headers were installed. So far it's been frustrating, but hasn't cost a lot in terms of parts, just a 30% higer fuel bill.

I'll be confirming the injector/valve issue in the next few weekends.

Basically, what it boils down to. the Zetec never was desinged to be a terribly efficent engine. Plus in its defence, especially with an automatic its kind of a lot of weight to pull around for that size of a motor.

... in a completely unrelated matter... TourDeForce, your sig makes me think of kids who drive honda civics.

Thanks for the responses. I think the lean message is fixed?!? by changing the air filter, at least the check engine light has stayed off.

I've heard folks getting high 30's for zeteks, though that might be because they're driving mainly highway. I guess if 26 mpg is all I get, I'd as soon sell it and look for a v6 like my other contour.

jtour, thanks for offering what you find w/ yours.

I won't be able to do much with this Contour as I'll be in SanDiego & Lemoore CA all next week

Btw, the suspension seems a bit stiffer on this 97 GL Sport compared to my 98 SE Sport. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the help
Ric

Should I bother replacing the water pump if I'm replacing the thermostat? Not sure of the location of either item yet, so I thought I'd ask.

And, does the Zetek water pump have the same problem as the V6?

Thanks again

"Should I bother replacing the water pump if I'm replacing the thermostat? Not sure of the location of either item yet, so I thought I'd ask."
Completely different location. So you decide. But if you replace the timing belt, yes, do change the waterpump, and if you replace the water pump, do change the timing belt. Location in Autozone link.

"And, does the Zetek water pump have the same problem as the V6?"
No.

WP
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/af/0900823d801bc4af.jsp

Thermostat
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c8/7d/0900823d801bc87d.jsp

Last edited:
Back