• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Will Cougar Front Strut Bar fit the Tour?

SVT3391

CEG'er
I saw the following listing on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-0...ryZ33591QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder if this Cougar part can be used in our cars. I know the OMP FSTB can be used on either Contour or Cougar but I am not 100% sure if this will work. If it does then the price is nice.

s.gif
9902MCCF-SBF-AQ.jpg

i was wondering the same thing. i saw that too. i wonder just how stiff/strong that is

also do you want a strut bar to push out or pull in? or be neutral

My guess is that this bar is adjustable at both ends with nuts. Chances are we may be able to use it.

Any one chime in? Or maybe I should also post it at NECO and ask them too?

My guess is that this bar is adjustable at both ends with nuts. Chances are we may be able to use it.

Any one chime in? Or maybe I should also post it at NECO and ask them too?

i just posted it over there at neco. ill let you guys know.

Last edited:
they said theres no reason why it wont fit

edit: it is noted that this one almost hits the hood. im trying to figure out if it will hit our hoods

Last edited:
so this will work as long as are hoods are just as high or higher than a cougars. dose anyone know who hoods are higher?

if it fits my car, it will fit yours. it doesnt matter whose hood is higher because on the sides and strut area they have the same clearance [I do think the tour hoods have a tad more clearance in the center]

Would this be as good as say...an aluminum one tho? I know it is carbon fiber...but I wonder what the quality is for only $30. I was almost about to buy this, because I think it would LOOK sweet, but I don't wanna waste my money if it isn't gonna PERFORM.

Would this be as good as say...an aluminum one tho? I know it is carbon fiber...but I wonder what the quality is for only $30. I was almost about to buy this, because I think it would LOOK sweet, but I don't wanna waste my money if it isn't gonna PERFORM.

that cf is just decorative, and I'd doubt its even real cf.

it does look purrrty though!! If you get it let me know about the quality.

So did anyone end up buying this? I am seriously considering it, but I was hoping to hear someone else's opinion on it first. But for $30, it's hard to go wrong.... right?

So did anyone end up buying this? I am seriously considering it, but I was hoping to hear someone else's opinion on it first. But for $30, it's hard to go wrong.... right?
Wanna try for us? And if you know some Cougar owners, you will be able to sell this unit to them in case if it doesn't fit.

Let us know. :)

actually you can go wrong, and I bit my tounge about this the whole time... ok look at the other strut braces we have availible and see how the bar mounts to the strut bracket and then look at how this one mounts. do you really think that mount will do anything usefull [all I see it doing is snapping].

If you like bling, then bling on, but the design just looks really half assed to me [hence the price].

Actually, there's more clearance in the Cougar engine bay. I bought a Coug strut bar from JCWhitney last year. It was a perfect fit over the struts, but when I installed it and closed the hood, the hood latch closed, but it left two dents in the hood, right on the strut towers. Luckily it was a dented scrap hood, but the towers were definitely too high.

In the end, I milled down the mounts, re-drilled the holes, and powdercoated them back to red.

Be careful, my strut bar was a Coug application and was too tall, and this one looks like it may be as well.

Back