• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

starter grinding

fobCSVT

CEG'er
After my work I tried to start the car but the starter was turning over but it was grinding and the car did not start. I think it's the flywheel that has as damaged gears. I put the trans in 1st and pushed the car. It started after it.

Is my diagnostic right?

If it sounds like metal-on-metal noises, then you are probably right. If it is a high pitched grinding/whining sound, it is a starter solenoid not kicking the starter into the ring gear. When you pushed the car in 1st gear, it may have released the starter gear into the proper position. This could be from something as small as low voltage from the battery. Either situation is not necessarily good.

I just experienced this problem two weeks ago.

I pulled the starter and by hand, the gear was VERY difficult to slide by hand. At 150k miles, I decided that replacing the unit altogether was the best bet. The difference in the new unit was night and day...the gear slid very easily back and forth.

So, if your miles are a lower and/or you're short on cash, others have gotten away with simply lubricating the shaft - for how long, I don't know. But if you've got higher miles, I would recommend a new starter.

It was a complete pain in the ass the first time around, but looking back it's not a horrible job.

This happens to my '96 Duratec Mystique three or four times a month. It will grind the first couple times I try to start, then it catches. It's done this since the first day I got the car, and I haven't noticed it happening more frequently, so I haven't worried too much about it.

The problem with not taking care of this problem is that it will eventually catch in the wrong position and cause unecessary damage to the flywheel ring gear. It's not a difficult task to replace the starter.

The problem with not taking care of this problem is that it will eventually catch in the wrong position and cause unecessary damage to the flywheel ring gear. It's not a difficult task to replace the starter.

I had to get the flex plate (flywheel ring gear) replaced on my ATX Mystique. Cost $700. Don't put this one off guys. take care of that starter or you're lookin' at some bad news.

(I got reimbursed via 90 day used car purchase warranty, your results may vary)

I had to get the flex plate (flywheel ring gear) replaced on my ATX Mystique. Cost $700. Don't put this one off guys. take care of that starter or you're lookin' at some bad news.

(I got reimbursed via 90 day used car purchase warranty, your results may vary)

So you had the same symptoms as us, and replacing the starter is what would have fixed it for you? Man...I don't want to keep dumping money into this car...

Back