• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

free magnecor vs. Ford Racing vs. Taylor

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
OK, so it was my Magnecors that were causing all my hesitation/bucking problems between 2k and 3k rpm's.:mad: (Todras was right;) , and I owe Tour de Force some $$$ for not covering his bet:laugh: ) When I changed the Magnecors (which I had just gotten BACK from Magnecor) to shavedsvt's old Ford Racing 9mm wires, the problem was 95% gone. So now my dilemma. Magnecor said for me to send the wires back (for either refund or new set). I tried this once, and the set they sent back to me was no better. Not really thrilled that I spent $110 for the best wires out there and this is what I get.
The FR wires on there now seem OK, but lots of people have had them die quickly, which is one reason I got the Magnecors i the first place.:shrug: I do like the fact that they are a Ford product on a Ford motor, if it matters.
Third, I know several people have used the Taylor wire sets from AJUSA with success. The price ($42) is hard to beat, too. Looking for opinions. I'm running autolite APP764 plugs. Sorry to rehash an old debate, but I'm looking for some RECENT input. Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Ha, ha. You took about 10 minutes longer than I expected to chime in w/ that. :laugh:. Why them vs. the Taylors, which is who I'd be leaning toward? I know Luca has run them w/o problems for quite a while, and they're less expensive.

Because you can get them from Advance Auto instead of ordering and you have a place to return them should an issue arise.

Ok, now don't laugh. I liked how the red looked in the engine bay. I'll bet they don't come in red, right.:laugh: How about quality of the Taylor vs. Autolite's? Even?

Im running Taylor wires on my 5.0 with exelent results. It isnt a Contour, but Taylor IMO makes a damn good wire. I perfer a MSD wire myself, but ya take what you can get...

I recently switched from Autolites to Taylors, after having the autolites for about 1.5 years. I'm hopeful with the Taylors... I had Magnecors before the autolites and they made my car run like crap.

I can't remember which wire it was.. but one of the autolites was just barely long enough. The equivelant Taylor wire is about 2" longer. So.... I haven't had the Taylors on for very long, but at this point I have absolutely no complaints about them. Oh, and I think they're even cheaper than Autolites.

I've had my Taylor's for over a year now with no issues at all.
Do it Scott. ;)

i run ford racing 9mm wires, cant be beat! they are red too. i dont know if they still make them though..... but with my setup i want 9 or 10mm if i can (aftermarket ignition)

Because you can get them from Advance Auto instead of ordering and you have a place to return them should an issue arise.

Autolites for this reason.

Ford factory for the overall total quality & OEM look & fit.

screw color choices. they're wires. they have an important job. Period.

My OEM wire were fine when I changed them at 150,000 miles. I change them because I wanted RED wires. I have had RED Ford Racing wires on it now for 75,000 miles with no issues.

Many have never had any problems with the Ford Racing wires. Since you have them on the car, my suggestion is to leave them on. IF they should give you problems, replace them whith whatever you want.

My OEM wire were fine when I changed them at 150,000 miles. I change them because I wanted RED wires. I have had RED Ford Racing wires on it now for 75,000 miles with no issues.

Many have never had any problems with the Ford Racing wires. Since you have them on the car, my suggestion is to leave them on. IF they should give you problems, replace them whith whatever you want.

But they are borrowed from a kind-hearted CEG'r, who will want them back. :laugh:

Also, Big Jim, few people had problems w/ the Magnecors until I and several other bought them earlier this year. I'm just tired of gambling on spaark plug wires. Thanks for the reply, though. I do appreciate it.:cool:

i dont know about kind hearted scott but i try... lol. the motor is coming out monday so i wont need the wires till that next friday. i think ford racing wires are a lot better in % than magnacores. the ratio of FR to Magnacores that are faulty its a big difference. try ford racing if you want, they seem fine to me, or try taylor, they seem pretty good too. no negatives about them.

Ok, now don't laugh. I liked how the red looked in the engine bay. I'll bet they don't come in red, right.:laugh: ....?

:laugh: ROTFL. I will laugh. "Yeah, it misfires but what the heck, it looks good." :laugh:

I guess that I should add that since so many people have reported early failures with Ford Racing wires I would not recommend them now even though mine have been fine. IIRC the vendor that supplied Ford Racing wires was MSD.

In your position I would probably try the Taylors.

Back