• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tb optimization

i marked the tps so i make sure, is it reccomended to cut the shaft and countersink?, i havent don enything except clean off the junk witha paper towel and some elbow grease and the plate doesnt make a perfect seal on the tb is that bad?

Tony, I know that some of the throttle bodies are different....most in just size from the SE to SVT, but I was going to do the throttle body mod and when I pulled it out it looked like it was a modded one. But I know it was stock and never altered. So, is there any difference between the two that was documented or what is going on?

Some throttle bodies came from the factory with only one side of the shaft... I'm not sure if thats what you mean or not...

From what i've seen, at least of the auto cars, the earlier cars got the TB with only one side of the shaft and later cars got both of the shaft. But, the casting on the inside of the TB is smoother and the ridge is cleaner on the later castings...

Tony, I know that some of the throttle bodies are different....most in just size from the SE to SVT, but I was going to do the throttle body mod and when I pulled it out it looked like it was a modded one. But I know it was stock and never altered. So, is there any difference between the two that was documented or what is going on?

Some throttle bodies came from the factory with only one side of the shaft... I'm not sure if thats what you mean or not...

From what i've seen, at least of the auto cars, the earlier cars got the TB with only one side of the shaft and later cars got both of the shaft. But, the casting on the inside of the TB is smoother and the ridge is cleaner on the later castings...

Yup....just the one side of the shaft. And this is on a mtx 95, i guess that means it is a earlier car LOL.

Regular Duratecs are different from SVT Duratecs (well, at least the gaskets are different). We found out the hard way about 1.5 years ago during out meet.

Edit. I really don't recall the TBs changing with the changing years. As posted, the SVT Duratecs' are different from the Non-SVT Duratecs'. In addition, Zetecs' are different from Duratecs'.

Duratec TB gasket info in UIM/LIM rebuild in Duratec Maintenance Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=931756&Search=true#Post931756

Last edited:
Alright, here are some pics. These are both non-svt throttle bodies. Both off of ATX cars, which are different than MTX cars...

The Pre-98 TB is the one with the ford logo on top and the optimization work. Minus the countersunk screws, the polishing and slight elongation, that is a stock TB. The shaft was like that, missing from the factory... Notice that the later TB is missing the ford logo on top and has the full shaft that the plate slides through instead of simply screwing to...

I really ought to get this TB finished up and put it on the car... Not that it'll make much difference over whats in there but it may help a little bit... I'm not sure how much difference smoothing out the transition between the opening and where the plate is will really make... The TB on my car is optimized but its just got countersunk screws and the half-shaft removed.

n70602762_30363393_4351.jpg

n70602762_30363392_4037.jpg

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion...

Last edited:
You'll want to knife the tb entrance before putting it on. That's currently a good 3mm circular wall to obstruct airflow.

Back