• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

horrible whining

slvrsvt

CEG'er
Ok so before i get flamed off of here i have done quite a bit of research and not found my answer. My problem is that i have a horrible whining noise coming from my speakers. Noise comes from both passenger side speakers and just the front driver side speaker. I have upgraded all of my grounds, as well as replaced the factory speakers with after-market speakers. Now here is my question, i have read that the factory amplifiers in our cars can cause the vehicle to make this noise. My thing is, I don't want to spend the money on ordering the only factory plug-and-play harness if there is something else that is going on. So my main thing is, is there anything else that could possibly be causing this noise? Also I have checked the alternator (OK) the battery (OK) as well as the grounding strap for the radio located on the ignition coil. SOMEBODY HELP ME BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO GO NUTS LISTENING TO THIS NOISE. Also if it makes any difference my battery is relocated to the trunk, but has been ran with double insulated 0 gauge wire and runs the opposite side as the amplifier and RCA cables for the subwoofer.

Quit yer whining. :laugh:

Is the whining all the time? As in just radio on or is it also when you have the CD on? The battery in the trunk, is it close to the antenna? If it is try moving it to the other end and see if it helps. If not, then you will just have to check all the wiring for the HU to see if any is touching some other lines. Also check if the ground strap in the ignition coil is touching another or too close to another wire.

I have rewired the whole audio system. The antenna is not hooked up on the car because i have satellite radio and never feel the need to listen to the actual radio. The head unit is an alpine IVA-D100. The brain-box for the head unit is located under the passenger side seat. I have upgraded all of the wires that run from behind the factory head unit to the brain-box. Also my reason for posting this in this section is because i don't know if it is audio related or possibly performance related per alternator, grounding strap, or some other sort of magical noise that this car makes. I have read that some people have had this problem because of a bad alternator, or grounding strap, but the most common problem that they have had is that the factory amplifier is taking a dive on them. So if anyone happens to have anymore insight into this problem please elaborate on this seeing how it's about to drive me nuts.

Also to address the question that tony2005 asked, it is on the whole time that the radio is on. as soon as the radio is turned off the noise stops. it gets worse when my headlights are on which makes me think that it is something other than the factory amplifier.

I had a whining noise coming from my driverside back speaker. I took off the door panel and checked the connections and they were fine. After getting really frustrated, cause it came and gone as it pleased. I gave the dash a good smack near the h/u and it went away. I proceeded to do this when it reoccured. then i got down to the root of it when i took out my (alpine) h/u and made sure all the wiring was secure and splices as well. I made sure when i put it back in nothing was kinked or pulled. Everything seems to be fine now. Good luck!

... as soon as the radio is turned off the noise stops. it gets worse when my headlights are on which makes me think that it is something other than the factory amplifier.
This makes me think it is something to do with the signal receiver (whatever that may be or where it is located) for your satellite radio.

It getting worse when the headlights are on seems to suggest that the wiring and the load on the battery or alternator is making it worse. I would suggest you check those wiring to see if any is "nicked" or touching something else (maybe wiring of the satellite receiver/radio).

Well i just wired a H3 with 3,000 watts to 2 Kickers 15". and 600 watts to all the pioneer speakers. There was HORRIBLE whinning on most of the speakers. Ive had this problem before with Jeep Commander that had simmilar stuff in it. We changed the amp and it was fine. The whinning went away. Also what it could be is you need a sound filter.

Last edited:
i have horrible alt whinning and i bought a rca filter thingy and just waitinbg for it to get here hope it clears it. ill let you guys kno. im running 2 amps a mtx 250watt subwoofer and a kx350.4 kicker. When i just had the mtx i didnt get whine and now with two i do so hope the isolator does the trick

for me they are now but still whine and its changed its sound so im just trying different things before i get fedup and actually have sumone look at it.

Ok so before i get flamed off of here i have done quite a bit of research and not found my answer. My problem is that i have a horrible whining noise coming from my speakers. Noise comes from both passenger side speakers and just the front driver side speaker. I have upgraded all of my grounds, as well as replaced the factory speakers with after-market speakers. Now here is my question, i have read that the factory amplifiers in our cars can cause the vehicle to make this noise. My thing is, I don't want to spend the money on ordering the only factory plug-and-play harness if there is something else that is going on. So my main thing is, is there anything else that could possibly be causing this noise? Also I have checked the alternator (OK) the battery (OK) as well as the grounding strap for the radio located on the ignition coil. SOMEBODY HELP ME BECAUSE I AM ABOUT TO GO NUTS LISTENING TO THIS NOISE. Also if it makes any difference my battery is relocated to the trunk, but has been ran with double insulated 0 gauge wire and runs the opposite side as the amplifier and RCA cables for the subwoofer.

Okay, I got two things for you. 1. It's nice to see that you ran your RCA's opposite of your batter wires, but that really is only affected when your running something like a 4-channel in your car. If you're running sub freq. it really doesn't matter if they're by the wires or not. Usually only affects high freq signals. 2. Bypassing your factory amp is way easier than you think. A $20 Amp integration harness will get the job done. I can walk you through it with some pics if you need. If you get an amp integration harness, you'll see there are 3 harnesses, one flat gray plug ( I think, it's the gray plug that it comes with) which is mainly your power/remote/sitched/illumination and one square black plug for plugging into the gray amp cable behind the factory radio( you won't need this, it's for outputing to your factory amp, so you'd be playing your aftermarket decks audio to the factory amp) and then a harness which has 2 plug ends.... That is the harness you want. Cut those two harnesses apart in the middle so you have equal amounts of wire. About the easiest way to get at the factory amp is to pull the two plastic plugs below the glove box. This should allow you to drop that carpet stuff up underneath. Then drop the glove box down so you can see behind it. Once you've done this, you should be able to see the gray cable coming from the center of the dash, and another plug to the right of it at the bottom of the factory amp. Unplug the plug on the right, and one of the plugs you cut apart from the amp integration harnesses should mate up to it. Now just run speaker wire from the plug to where ever your aftermarket radio speaker output is. I'm assueming with the alpine it's at the brain box, but I'm not sure. Just make sure you get the proper (+) and (-) and speaker colors matched up. Otherwise you'll fade rear and it'll balance to the right or something weird like that... Get your (+) and (-) so you don't mess up your speakers...

Not too bad if you know how to do it, or take it somewhere and get it done professionaly... if you put it in yourself though, I'm guessing you can handle this..

Last edited:
I suspect you are hearing the whining of the alternator current. Two things come to mind, the diode bridge circuit is not fully functional and passing AC ripple through the line, or there is a grounding probem with your head unit or amp!. You may want to try to add a supressor to the power in line.

Take your deck out of your chassis, drop the glove box, and play with some wires while your playing music......umm does it do it when engine is off too? does it do it when engine is off, again does it do it when engine is off????????????????

Last edited:
Back