• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

the one time a blown head gasket is better...

turbo_fox

Veteran CEG'er
So i was pretty sure the mustang had a blown headgasket. I pulled the head, I guess you can say it did, but......

cimg2203mediumss2.jpg

but its much much worse....

cimg2201mediumys1.jpg

cimg2202mediumsy5.jpg

cimg2204mediumlv1.jpg

sweet!

lol at first i was gonna say what, someone threw a dunkin donuts cup in your motor!?

that sucks big time though man, sorry to hear it.

strange...... what exactly makes something like THAT happen?!!!?? i'm looking at a 5.0 and now i'm scared!

I would think that it has something to do with the twin turbo setup ... highly doubt a n/a 5.0 would do that ...

but my guess it was a hot spot and the material failed ...

yeah i know but why am i not seeing detonation on the valves or the tops of the pistons? just kinda weird only that spot got hot like that....lol

I might be wrong in saying this... but it doesn't look like there is any damage to the block. you might be able to just pick up a new head and go from there. Hopefully speaking...

so, does this mean you never got the tune straightened out? (just guessing, looking at your sig.)

nope, never did. we tried for 4 hours on the dyno, but there was no getting around the 30 lb injectors, and I figured I could get away with the bad tune till the winter, but no dice. I am switching to cometics, the head is getting welded and machined, and I am going to 60 lb injectors. I am happy with the condition of the cylinder walls enough to run it another season. I still need to build new headers, switch to external gates, injectors, rails, lines......it never ends.

nope, never did. we tried for 4 hours on the dyno, but there was no getting around the 30 lb injectors, and I figured I could get away with the bad tune till the winter, but no dice. I am switching to cometics, the head is getting welded and machined, and I am going to 60 lb injectors. I am happy with the condition of the cylinder walls enough to run it another season. I still need to build new headers, switch to external gates, injectors, rails, lines......it never ends.

I know the feeling, I myself am currently building a new motor myself (I split my stock block.... oops. :laugh: :laugh: )

pay VERY close attention to those cometics when you install them. they have had some issues with quality control lately (misstamping) that will ruin your day.

sorry to see you had those problems.... but you've got to be nuts for running 30 lb injectors!! :shocked:

pay VERY close attention to those cometics when you install them. they have had some issues with quality control lately (misstamping) that will ruin your day.

sorry to see you had those problems.... but you've got to be nuts for running 30 lb injectors!! :shocked:

yeah i know, but it lasted for more than 10k miles. We ran it on the dyno, and couldnt pull past 5k without going way lean, but with a second gear pull, it never topped 13:1. I decided to chance it for the autocross, seeing as it was almost all 2nd gear, but I chanced wrong. Oh well, its only $, right?

yeah i know, but it lasted for more than 10k miles. We ran it on the dyno, and couldnt pull past 5k without going way lean, but with a second gear pull, it never topped 13:1. I decided to chance it for the autocross, seeing as it was almost all 2nd gear, but I chanced wrong. Oh well, its only $, right?

LOL! Yeah, it's only money. But it could have been a bit less money had you bought the injectors in the first place. :laugh: It's all torn down now, so here's your chance to do it right from the get-go. :cool:

Mark

Back