• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got a couple tranny questions....please help

LukeDuke

CEG'er
First off, is the MTX-75 tranny used in older contour and mystiques the same as the ones used in SVT's?

Whats the difference?

Could someone buy say a 97 MTX-75 and get it built up and use in a SVT Contour?

Who or how does someone get a HMS built trans?

Any info could help thanks in advance.

They are nearly the same but there is enough difference to keep them from being used. Let me explain.

The 98 and newer V6 MTX are all the same including the SVT. The 95 to 97 is different because of the differnt shift mechanism. The early trans is a rod shift mechanism and the late trans is a cable shift mechanism. The differences are a lot more than just bolt on. The cases are different. The internal stuff is pretty much the same.

HMS is Haines Motor Sports. Terry Haines, the owner, was a Ford powertrain engineer working on the Mondeo (Contour) when it was developed. His shop is in Michigan. No one knows the MTX75 better than Terry or has the the parts to build one to it's strongest potential. I don't have his email or address in front of me, but perhaps someone else here can post it for you. You may also be able to find it with a search. It comes up often.

Last edited:
ok thanx thats what i needed to know. does anyone else know how to get a hold of him or how much he usually charges to beef up out trannys? thanx

Crap... That link is dead and I need a Haines transmission build pretty soon... I looked for HMS in the member listing but only found "hms1018", is that him..? Can anyone help here?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't his transmission builds range in price from around $1,000 all the way to a little over $2,000 depending on what sorts of internals you want upgraded/added? 0.o

He is a very active member at fordcontour.org. If you really want to get a hold of him I would go there to get his information.

My Dad is having his transmission Rebuilt by him. I think its right around $3500 for 3.50 final drive, rebuilt Quaife, new internals, etc., pretty much a brand new transmission.

Back