• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/C System Leak Detection

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
Last summer my A/C was playing up (low pressure), so I took it in to be evacutated and recharged. It has worked well for about 6 months but now it is having the same problem. When they recharged it they put die in as well. Since it seems to be the same problem, I'm guessing its a leak (genius I know :crazy:).
How long will the die be visible, and given that its a slow leak, will it show up? Is it usually a UV dye or something else?

...How long will the die be visible, and given that its a slow leak, will it show up? Is it usually a UV dye ...?
Usually UV. If you still have the "refrigerant with the dye" in it, as in, it is still leaking and not "completely gone", you should still be able to see it with those "special goggles" and a flourescent light. In the event that the pressure is completely gone, those refrigerant with dye is about $35 and can be purchased from Autozone or Advance. Just put it in the low side valve (battery side) as if you are recharging the system.

Last edited:
I need to do this too. I kinda needed the A/C today. I know I have a leak.

What kind of "special goggles" do you need and what kind/color fluoresent light do you need.

A/C? It's January!
Yep, Yesterday I needed the A/C, but it also is used for the demister. With the compressor starting and stopping all the time it makes the engine surge which can't be good for anything and makes the ride less comfortable.

Back