• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Changing plugs and wires?

smokespeed

CEG'er
Hey guys...I want to do some maitnance on my 2.5tour. I a newbie and dont know much about changing engine parts,but anyway I want to change my spark plugs and wires. I was reading the how-to forums and I an kinda confused about gaping the plugs. I always thought that all plugs come pre-gapped. Also is this type of maitnance something a newbie can do in a afternoon? Thanks ahead of time.

Plugs do not come pre-gapped. They may be gapped close to shere they need to be for some engine that it may be applicable for, but that doesn't mean that it is gapped correctly for YOUR engine.

ALWAYS CHECK GAP WHEN REPLACING PLUGS.

As for where you should set them, the spec is .052" to .056". I prefer to set them at the wide side of spec.

maintenance

maintenance

Hi there, I just wanted to add that Big Jim is right about checking gap on your new plugs ALWAYS before installing. I have found them to be out gap range right out of the box, sometimes by as much as ten thousandths or more.
I also want to say that you won't need to remove the intake or coil pack to pull the rear bank plugs. It's a little tight back there, but manageable, I found it easiest for myself to use a good swivel with six inch extension and then a three inch ext. after that connected to the ratchet. Get some nickel antisieze to put on the threads before install also, this will help prevent the chance of the plugs bieng stuck in the head at your next routine change. P.S. DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THE NEW PLUGS BY HAND FIRST, USE THE EXTENSION W/ NO RATCHET, UNTIL HAND TIGHT!

On another note, the oil pan bolt is a 15mm, the little screws that hold on the front valve cover shield is 1/4 inch or 7-8mm, good time to check your water pump area and the drive belt too. Don't hesitate to give us all a shout here if you have any other questions and good luck.
Jim

Last edited:
Be very careful gapping any platinum plug and any iridium plug. The surfaces are plated with both, and any major bend could flake off the iridium or platinum.

Do one at a time and don't get the wires mixed up.

Check for oil down in the spark plug well too. If there is any oil down there the valve cover is leaking and it's time to replace them. Each spark plug hole has a gromet that seals it against the head. If you buy new valve cover gaskets you'll know what I'm talking about.

T

Well I changed my plugs and wires sunday, and It was easy. This is my first car that I have done my own maitnance on and I enjoyed it. I think I feel the beginning of mod fever comin on.

I use the money I save by working on my own cars to buy more tools! :)
ROTFL. That is usually my excuse too! For long while, I still kept the Chevy alternator tester and drum brakes "pliers". I think I threw the tester away the last time I cleaned up the utility room and gave the "pliers" to a friend.

Back