• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel/Hub Issue

Pre98

Hard-core CEG'er
I already posted pics in my new wheel thread about this, but this forum is the correct place for it.

I guess I'll let pics speak for themselves, I'm stumped. How can one hub be different then the other [both front]?

pass.jpg

drivers.jpg

I've ruled out this 'ring' of being any sort of spacer. But regardless, it needs to come off. It is pretty much one with the hub/rotor.

I have NO idea where it came from- I initially thought it came from the 15" TSW wheels I just took off of my car. [Pics of those in my Signature] Those wheels had spacers for who knows why- they didn't offset anything- but I looked at all of the wheels and they all still had their spacers. What gives?

I mean I don't even know what to tell a mechanic if I have to take it someplace. 'Uh.. remove that silver thing' :shrug:

The ring probably was from the aftermarket wheels. I think the term is hub-centric or something like that. The wheels would have a speed balance problem without that spacer ring that keeps it centered on the hub

That looks like a hub-centric ring that is necessary with aftermarket wheels. They make the wheel center on the hub instead of the lugs. Centering on the lugs could lead to uneven tread wear or worse. It was probably left behind when you took off the aftermarket wheels.

The ring should just pull straight off or you can try spinning it. It isn't physically attached to the hub at all. I have aluminum ones for my wheels, but plastic ones were also available.

Edit: darn it... eepals beat me to it

Last edited:
Good stuff there, but I'm lost as to what wheel it belonged to, you know what I mean? Because all the other wheels I have in my garage that had spacers, balancers, whatever they are- have them still. :shrug::laugh:

That's why I'm stumped. Edit: I'd pull it off, but it's pretty cooked on. Looks practically like it was manufactured to be there.

Would this be worth it to have a guy at the shop torch it off? That couldn't possibly cost anything more than $50, could it?

torching sounds way too extreme. I would suggest a flat-head screwdriver (start with a small one) to try and start moving it away from the rotor hat.

Already had that planned [Screwdriver], I thought I'd ask people more mechanically sound than myself first before I start half-assing things with a screwdriver lol. If that doesn't work, off comes the rotor.

Alright, well thanks everyone I think I've got the information I needed. :)
I'll post back with how things go.

Edit:

Ok, started with the screwdriver/hammer. This is obviously going to take a while. Any pointers, can this go faster?

Last edited:
Back