• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlamp Replacement

mattp182

CEG'er
I need to replace my headlight assemblies, it apprears that my car might have been in a front end collision before i bought it because some of the plastic mounts are broken or missing on both sides. Additionally the lenses are starting to yellow. I was thinking of replacing the whole assemblies and while i was at it, I would also like to paint the inside chrome piece on the inside and possbily install projectors. I was wondering which headlight assemblies are the best considering i dont want to pay an arm and a leg from ford. Also I would like some advice on what projectors fit well into the contour headlamp assemblies.

You'll really want to do some searching around here, and on the old forums. There's a ton of info out there, you just gotta look. If you're set on taking your headlights apart to paint the chrome, you'll really want to use Ford stamped parts. I don't know if anyone has taken apart their aftermarket OEM replacement lights, but I don't believe they use the same seals. You can go to www.svtperformance.com and register. Go to the Contour SVT forum, and in the stickies you'll find Steve Mullins info. He can get you the Ford headlights for $98.XX each. Don't fall for the ebay headlights. They don't fit right, and I wouldn't trust their durability. As for projectors, that's a whole other ballgame. It's quite the project, so possibly someone else will chime in.

Mark

Ok so this is a stupid question but i have searched and cant find an easy answer, will regular contour 98-00 headlights fit on an svt? also is the quality of the svt grilles on ebay decent or is it better to buy originals?

Ok so this is a stupid question but i have searched and cant find an easy answer, will regular contour 98-00 headlights fit on an svt? also is the quality of the svt grilles on ebay decent or is it better to buy originals?

There is no difference between the two headlights. Both use the same ones.

I don't think there has been any issues at all with the eBay grills. If you plan on installing aftermarket mesh later, don't waste your money on the SVT grill since you will need to cut it up later anyways. Just get a SE.

Back