• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Changing Starter, stuck on one bolt

bohdi

CEG'er
I'm in the middle of yanking out my starter and I'm stuck on one of the bolts that holds the starter to the block. The one on the firewall side came out pretty easily but the one on the radiator side is a total pain. I can get a open ended wrench around it, but I don't feel comfortable putting much torque on it for fear of rounding off the head. There's not enough clearance for a socket and due to the geometry of all the crap in the way, I can't seem to get the boxed end of the wrench around it.

What did you guys do, specifically?

If you have a open end wrench on the bolt and it's the right size your not going to round off the head.Make sure you have the right size "Metric".Maybe give it some WD-40.

Ya, that front bolt can be a PITA! IIRC I was able to get an angled boxed end wrench around it....since the wrench itself was short in length i used a rubber mallet to help break the bolt free.

Last edited:
I got it.

I borrowed a shorter boxed end 13mm wrench and was able to get that around the bolt and then doubled it with another wrench on the end to get some torque the bolt.

After that, it was a 47 point turn to pry the starter from the clutches of the jungle of wires and hoses....

What a pain in the ass.

Back