• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Back-Up LEDs? (1156 bulb)

R_G

CEG'er
Anybody tried putting LEDs as their back-up lights, specifically SBL's 1156-W24 White LED bulb with a wide angle?

I'm interested to hear if they are brighter than the stock bulbs as well. I'm with Goonz, the tinted windows pretty much makes reversing at night an experience based on luck.

Yeah, its a pain in the ass to see whats behind you... I always look whats behind me before backing out cause I cant see anything back there if I don't have direct sunlight..

i have LED's in as back up bulbs....I think there are 18 seperate LED's in the bulb. 12 on the face of the bulb and about 6 that go around the bulb. they are really bright.....I have LED's for all the rear lights actually, but one of the brake lights that was shipped was broke, so Im waiting on a new one :(

i have LED's in as back up bulbs....I think there are 18 seperate LED's in the bulb. 12 on the face of the bulb and about 6 that go around the bulb. they are really bright.....I have LED's for all the rear lights actually, but one of the brake lights that was shipped was broke, so Im waiting on a new one :(

Picures would be great...

Ill snap some pics when i get home.....gives me a chance to test out the new cell phone camera too (2.0megapixel), pics look sweet on the phone we will see how they turn out once i get them on the comp

alright here you go, pics taken from my new camera phone....turned out pretty good if you ask me!
so, all i have installed so far is the reverse lights, one of the brake bulbs broke during shipping so i had to send it back. Also, with the CF trunk its kind of rough getting in to the license plate lights are.....gonna have to take the reflector off for that. The tailights are also tinted
DSC00046.jpg

no idea where those blue dots came from...i have 0 blue lights on my car????
DSC00047.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

yellow fogs, think they need adjusted?????? :)
DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

this one didnt turn out that great but it gives you an idea of how narrow the beam is....IMO the regular bulbs have a wider projection
DSC00054.jpg

there you go :) ENJOY!

I have LED's for all the rear lights actually, but one of the brake lights that was shipped was broke, so Im waiting on a new one :(

Do you mean the rear tailights? Do you have LED's in the 3rd brake light also?

Where did you buy/what LED's are you using for the taillights? I have been wanting to do this for a long time. If you have or can snap some pics of them once you install them I would like to check them out. How is the illumination compared to the stock tail light bulbs? Any hyper flashing w/ the turn signals on?

I know a lot of ?'s :laugh:

Do you mean the rear tailights? Do you have LED's in the 3rd brake light also?

Where did you buy/what LED's are you using for the taillights? I have been wanting to do this for a long time. If you have or can snap some pics of them once you install them I would like to check them out. How is the illumination compared to the stock tail light bulbs? Any hyper flashing w/ the turn signals on?

well i installed just the one good brake light that i got and it came on with the turn signal but didnt flash. With the hazards on it flashed fine, but still didnt come on when you hit the brakes. I have the load resistors though, might as well wait until i get the other bulb back to put them on.

Just the tail lights, I didnt do the 3rd light

I posted above where i got the led's at, they have quite a few different styles......

oh ok so its the cylinder style. I thought maybe it was another style. Hopefully the load resistors will fix the issue. I want to do this mod but I have not found the style of LED I want and also the hyper flashing issue.

I want mine to look like the G35. So I would need a circle of about 10 or so LED's that all fire outward. I might have to fab something up to get that look.

so your revers lights are blue? or white? like when lit up, do they look white? plus if you can exactly tell which bulbs you got..i may pick up a set..

so your revers lights are blue? or white? like when lit up, do they look white? plus if you can exactly tell which bulbs you got..i may pick up a set..

They are not blue, they are 'super white' if you look at them they have a slight blue tint but not that 'ricer blue' :).......here are the exact ones i purchased, it is a tight fit getting them inside the lens but you can squeeze them in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&viewitem=&item=190061805924

as for the g35 look I dont know how you could achieve that without doing something custom....my orginal plan was to use the leds for the brake lights because i have tinted my tails, then i just went all out and replaced everything back there. Like I said check out that web site i posted before, they have several different styles of bulbs.

OK, juts replaced 'em and all I can say is I am not sure... With all honesty I failed to notice any discernible difference as to the illumination ability of the LED back-up lights. I mean they are brighter but only in their source and not their ability to illuminate/better assist you while reversing. Following are the pictures:

STOCKERS

820_Back-Up%20Stocker%202.JPG

LEDS

820_Back-Up%20LED.JPG

I would go for some higher wattage halogen lamps, but I've heard about the 98+ housing melted, so might not be a solution for ya.

But don't give up yet!

Superbrightleds.com has 3 Watt Luxeon LED lamps in both bayonet (cylinder) and wedge base (your 98+ front turn signal lamps). I have a couple 1W Luxeon LED flashlights, and boy, those suckers are bright! One even has a sticker warning of eye damage if you stare into it.

Go to this page and scroll down to 1156-LX3... The price is pretty steep ($23.95 EACH!), but it could be a solution!

Another solution is to get one of those auxiliary reverse lamps from a farm supply store (maybe Autozone, etc also?), and install that below the rear bumper. Pretty tacky if exposed, and SVT would have to hide it behind the mesh so you don't hit it on the ground.

Back