• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec vs. Duratec

there must be a HUGE range in fuel economy for the zetec, because I used to get 39 mpg on the highway regularly in my old 96 :crazy:- no joke

having owned both, IMO i would go with the duratec

Last edited:
Do you have any data to back this up? Do you really believe he lost 60hp due to the drivetrain? Typical losses for an ATX are about 20%, meaning he should be at about 190hp or so.

An ATX has anywhere from about 20-25% loss
with 160 at the wheels that puts him at any where from 200-213 hp. now since it appears that he was guestimating i would say that was a pretty good guess.

oh and BTW 20% loss with 220BHP is 176WHP

An ATX has anywhere from about 20-25% loss
with 160 at the wheels that puts him at any where from 200-213 hp. now since it appears that he was guestimating i would say that was a pretty good guess.

oh and BTW 20% loss with 220BHP is 176WHP

I'd really like a source on the 25% loss figure. I searched around google for a while but most sites said 17% normally, up to 20% for autos, and 25% on AWD vehicles.
I was saying if he put down 160 at the wheels, a 20% drivetrain loss would mean he had about 192 at the crank. 220 is actually a terrible estimate, because not only is it very unlikely that there's actually a 25% loss, but even if he did manage that, then rounding from 213 up to 220 is also wrong. So yeah, bad math right there.

even still with 160whp and 20% loss that equates to 200bhp not 192bhp. bad math right there :D

considering he was guessing and didnt do any math i would say he came pretty close to being accurate assuming a 25% loss.

even still with 160whp and 20% loss that equates to 200bhp not 192bhp. bad math right there :D

considering he was guessing and didnt do any math i would say he came pretty close to being accurate assuming a 25% loss.

Oops, you got me. A look at my scribblings brings out the mistake pretty quickly. My point still holds.

i have personally seen a few that had a 25% loss. however the average has a 20% loss. so for calculating purposes one usually uses 20%. even still though 20HP off is not that bad for a guess. it could have been worse. he could have said like 250.

anyways we agree that hector was probably making about 200BHP

What I keep thinking about for this thread is the money up front to mod a car. You can go out and get a loan for a SVT and have all the power right away, while if you go out and get a ztec the bank isn't going to finance you for getting mods. You have to come up with that money yourself. Sure, some people can afford it while other can't.

I'd hate to have to get a loan on any stock contour (other than a 2000 with like 25k miles). They're all cheap, shouldn't need a loan.

I'd really like a source on the 25% loss figure. I searched around google for a while but most sites said 17% normally, up to 20% for autos, and 25% on AWD vehicles.
I was saying if he put down 160 at the wheels, a 20% drivetrain loss would mean he had about 192 at the crank. 220 is actually a terrible estimate, because not only is it very unlikely that there's actually a 25% loss, but even if he did manage that, then rounding from 213 up to 220 is also wrong. So yeah, bad math right there.
you obviously don't know how sluggish and power robbing the CD4E is, do you?

Just because the 'average' is 20% doesn't mean it will be in this case, you don't know the exact number and you don't know the exact crank HP, so why are you arguing? I made a mere guess.

you obviously don't know how sluggish and power robbing the CD4E is, do you?
My family owns/has owned 5 cars with that transmission. I'm fully aware of how awful it is.
edit: I take that back. We've owned three. One was the AXOD, and one is the AX4S

Just because the 'average' is 20% doesn't mean it will be in this case, you don't know the exact number and you don't know the exact crank HP, so why are you arguing? I made a mere guess.

The problem is that you don't know exact numbers either, so it's pointless to call me wrong. I think 200bhp is a fair estimate.

Last edited:
The problem is that you don't know exact numbers either, so it's pointless to call me wrong. I think 200bhp is a fair estimate.
read it again, I never said you were wrong. If anything you're saying we're wrong by assuming drivetrain loss, it could be higher it could be lower. My HP estimate stays where I think it should be.

read it again, I never said you were wrong. If anything you're saying we're wrong by assuming drivetrain loss, it could be higher it could be lower. My HP estimate stays where I think it should be.

No, you didn't say, but you definitely implied. Do you honestly believe he suffered from a 27% drivetrain loss without any type of data at all to back it up? All that does is show a serious bias that you have.

Do you honestly believe he suffered from a 27% drivetrain loss without any type of data at all to back it up? .
You have no viable data either, yet you can tell us we're wrong?

You have no proof its not 27%, I have no proof that its 27% either, why must you argue with everything i say, what are you trying to prove?

Oppionions are like *******s, everyones got one. You've got your opinion, I have mine.... deal with it.

hes saying that the number of ATXs with a 27% loss is almost none and that a 20% estimate is probably (not gauranteed) more accurate.

without having hectors car we will never know what the true drivetrain loss is.

This thread is pointless....even when I came here on this site (look at my join date) everyone has put down the Zetec. Not going to change. I put down good numbers and there always will be trashtalkers. When certain people finish their Zetec projects there will be more good numbers put down and there will be trashtalkers. Way of the CEG.

Remember Zetec owners: Bigger is always going to be better even if it is unreliable.;)

Remember Zetec owners: Bigger is always going to be better even if it is unreliable.;)
What's unreliable?

Seems to me you put down the duratec just as people put down the zetec.

Though what I say is not putting down either. I know the strengthes, weaknesses, and costs involved with both of them.

Last edited:
The Duratec....why is it most of them are found with blown engines/engine trouble?:blackeye:
Because people don't put enough oil in or rag on them?
I've seen duratecs on here with far higher mileage than the zetecs on here. Seen plenty of people replacing zetecs on here as well. You see it a bit less on here because we have more duratecs than zetecs on the site.
Ask big jim or I think parkedcar how unreliable their duratecs are.
Duratecs and zetecs are both good engines.

"most of them"???

NOT even CLOSE to "most". the ones that ARE blown are either ragged, mistreated, not maintained or a factory fault. The SAME REASONS you get blown Zetecs. those are pretty much the only reasons any engine will blow.

More people TEND to rag on the Duratec engine as it DOES come with more power and tq than the Zetec, so its easier TO do. Has nothing to do with reliability.

Back