• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Separator Vent Tube?

avu3

New CEG'er
98 se v6 atx ~140k miles.

Read about oil leaks on the archive forum about an oil separator or vent tube leaking and needing to be replaced. Can anyone tell me where this tube is and give any advice to repairing it? I have a burning oil smell I thought was valve covers, but want to review this as well.

Thanks!
Scott

Not sure what you mean.

The PCV system ventilates the engine crankcase by drawing air from the intake tube to both valve covers through plastic tubes, down through the engine, up into a baffle/separator located under the intakes, back through a steel tube to the PCV valve, and on into the intake manifold.

Read about oil leaks on the archive forum about an oil separator or vent tube leaking and needing to be replaced.
Scott

I replaced that metal pipe that attaches to the breather between the heads. This pipe/rubber elbow, that holds the PCV valve, leaks over time, but it's not the type that drips, more like "sweating" . I doubt it is the breather though. I have a smelly leak also. I would think the leak is from the timing cover or the head gakets etc. Don't over look the oil pressure switch or the spare oil gallery plug behind the A/C compressor. I lived with that one for years before I found that one on my engine.

Back