• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best Clutch

CSVT #0037

CEG'er
I need a clutch and so im on the market for one. Whats the best that i should get for a stock contour? Stage 1 or 2? Is there a big difference on wear pattern? or how long it lasts?

IM kinda planning on puting more power on it though. What do you think about a stage 2? http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3869&idcategory=2055

I have a Spec stage 2 in my car and its stock.I got a great deal on it so i went with it.Alot of people dont like the spec stage 2 simple for the fact there coated with a kevlar and glaze easy..But then theres others that havent had a problem.But spec is a good name and i know alot of people that run specs in there cars and love it.

I might put a turbo or supercharge on it. If funds comply. But the price on this Stage one is pretty good. http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3675&idcategory=2055

I was also thinking of a Spec Stage 3 but im not sure if it would ride like a Stage 1

SPEC stage 1 and SPEC stage 3 feel nothing alike. A SPEC stage 1 feels exactly like an OEM clutch as far as pedal feel and engagement is concerned. A stage 3 on the other hand has an off/on engagement and you cant slip it like an OEM clutch. I personally dont like it since its very hard to launch well, but its pretty much required for high tq loads.

If your planning on using a Vortech on your 2.5L, I honestly would go with a SPEC stage 1. A vortech'ed 2.5L only makes about 210 wtq...only about 20 more foot pounds of tq then some naturally aspirated 3.0Ls. Depending, on your power goals for a turbo, a SPEC stage 1 might be okay, but you might want to go with a stage 2. Unfortunately, the stage 2 is made of kevlar and there is controversy about kevlar clutches glazing over. I must say though, Y2KSVT's SPEC stage 1 held up completely fine when he was on the bottle and making about 270-300 wtq.

Whatever you get, just make sure they send you the right TOB.

if you looking for a spec goto the group buy threads. theres a guy who sells them cheaper than you may ever find.

O ya and how long are these things supposed to last because the guy before me put one on 2 years ago and it just got really bad. I bought this car from him 4 months ago

Is your Stage 2 made of that kevalar stuff?

Yes..But its fine im running a stock motor right now..Once you slip your clutch thats when its going to start to glaze.So if you know how to drive a 5spd you wont have a probalem.I launch my car at sometimes 3500rpm and its fine.This is'nt all the time.But if your planning on making some high HP numbers a stage 3 you want.If you going to go with a Supercharger like beyondloadedse stated a spec stage 1 would be fine.
Does Vortech still make the kit?

Forced Fab has never put a kit into existence. Run a search in the FI branch (especially in the old forums) for forced fab. Only kit thats ever been produced is from ADC, who btw, stopped making kits about a year ago. And no, Vortech no longer sells their kits.

And all SPEC stage 2's are made from Kevlar.

ya id want to make my own but dont really know how thats the only thing

I dont either.Have to maybe post in the Forced induction forum and get some ideas.But if your going boost.I would reccomend doing a 3L swap.Theres tons of info on the old Forums on how to do the swap.You can boost your 2.5L.But dont get to extreme with the boost.Not to get you or anyone down but no matter what its going to blow up..Your going to need to build your transmission.ETC.

i have a spec stage3. yes, it's harder to engage, but its not on/off like everyone says. you want to avoid slipping the clutch in large amounts, so it does drive a little rougher, but when you shift and you dont feel that thing slip, its all worth it. i have about 15k miles on mine now, and i have yet to notice a difference. it handles my 2.5+ a 100 shot and never slipped yet. that's what i'd go with, cost me about 325$

Back