• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spoiler Q

I thought that the SVT did not have a spoiler??? All of the ones i've seen don't have one? Or did they take them off but then where is there 3rd brake light?

I thought that the SVT did not have a spoiler??? All of the ones i've seen don't have one? Or did they take them off but then where is there 3rd brake light?

some have spoilers. I dont think E0s have them at all, and most E1s dont. If you have the spoiler option, the center mount third brake light is on the spoiler. If you do not have the spoiler, it is in the rear window(decklid)

my 98 has one, I've been debating if I should repaint it or get a trunk lid without one. kinda dumb cause I have 2 3rd brake lights. I disconnected one.

no spoiler(brake in window)

492594_149_full.jpg

spoiler(brake in window) dont think this is factory

svt1.jpg

with spoiler(brake on spoiler)

DSC02619.jpg

my 98 has one, I've been debating if I should repaint it or get a trunk lid without one. kinda dumb cause I have 2 3rd brake lights. I disconnected one.

interesting, what i said isnt valid I guess. I have no idea why some with spoilers have 2 third brake lights then.

interesting, what i said isnt valid I guess. I have no idea why some with spoilers have 2 third brake lights then.

oh no, let me make this clear. I have the 3rd brake light in the car, but I also have one in the spoiler. I thought i read that it was a $100 option.

My 2000 with spoiler did not have 4 brake lights. I believe that those have been added. Trunk lid swaps are pretty common around here.

my 2000 has one on the spoiler and the rear decklid

My 2000 SVT has a spoiler as well and the rear deck lid light,the spoiler lights up as well.I got mine from the original owner, who left it stock other than a P.O.S. sony head unit. Mine also has the rare? factory engine block heater.

the 2 3rd brake light cars may not have been from the factory but from the dealer? lots of dealers like to throw on things to make the cars "nicer"

the 2 3rd brake light cars may not have been from the factory but from the dealer? lots of dealers like to throw on things to make the cars "nicer"

yea i think thats what happend to mine. the factory would know better than to put on a spoiler with the 3rd brake light in to on a car that already has one built in.

Spoiler was an option. Car with spoiler and NO brake light in the rear window came like that from the factory. Car with spoiler AND brake light in rear window was dealer-added. I'm unsure why some cars had brake lights in both the spoiler and window. I guess some dealers just had spoilers with the brake lights in them :shrug:

Spoiler was an option. Car with spoiler and NO brake light in the rear window came like that from the factory. Car with spoiler AND brake light in rear window was dealer-added. I'm unsure why some cars had brake lights in both the spoiler and window. I guess some dealers just had spoilers with the brake lights in them :shrug:

Brake lights do not get removed for factory spoiler installs until the 98.5 models roll out. The black outline for the third brake light was on 95-98 models, while 98.5-00 switched to a low profile brake light with no outline on the glass.

Imagine how much worse it would look with a spoiler and the third brake light outline on the glass with nothing in there.

Both the spoiler and interior brake light have the same plug. By design, only one was supposed to be able to be plugged in at a time. If both light up, someone decided to cut and splice into the wiring.

all of the oem spoilers have the 3rd brake light in them ...

I think I'm going to go the the junkyard and pick up a T-red trunk with spoiler, disconnect the window brake light, and get that part of the window tinted over.

Back