• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

lowering springs

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey i own a 2000 tour non SVT. And i was wondering to lower my tour do i just put on lowering springs? I know a couple of cars need more than just springs to lower it. I would like to lower it some time soon and would like to know what brand/kind what ever should i get??

Thanks, silver.

Either one its the same stuff really. You can lower it however you want to. There are springs you can get and just toss on in place of your stock springs. Then you have different strut/spring "kit's" like BAT and Koni. Then you have coilovers such as Ground Control(they require more work than your reg lowering spring swap does). Then you have a full coilover setup such as the d2's/ KSports. Correct is debateable. It is reccomended to replace your struts with some better valved ones for lowering springs, and you may as well replace the strut mounts while your in there since they are most likely worn as well. As far as what springs to buy, there are plenty to choose from. You have B&G, H&R, Eibach, Bat, Koni, and there may be more im sure. I have some new Eibachs here for my svt I need to install, and we are running Ground Control coilovers on my wifes cougar. The ride with springs will be better than the coilovers for sure but in the end its all in how low you want to go and what kinda ride your after.

Oh so it all depends how much i want to lower it? Say i want to lower it idk 2.5 inches all around. With a expensive "kit" and mounts where would i get the components?

2.5 is alot of drop. idk if any of the springs will get you there. You should look into the ksports they will give you an incredible amout of drop but I hear they ride kinda rough as well though.

the only springs that would get you close to that would be the B&G autobahns. keep in mind that going that low actually makes the car handle worse, your better off going with a stiffer spring at stock (or near stock) height so that the suspension geometry is right. by going so low that you pass the point at which the LCA is perpendicular to the strut, you start gaining positive camber in bump instead of negative camber, which means even less tire on the road.

Oh i thought 2.5 was just a little. What about a 1.5in drop is that normal? And easily installed?? I don't know how low low is that's why i thought 2.5in would be sufficient.

I've got the BAT kit and i think it drops between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". You can get the kit mounts for front and back, plus the front ratator bearings shipped for under 1k. I'm very happy with the way it feels and handles great. If your looking for that slammed looks it probably isnt the way to go though. I think the black car in the middle has the koni setup.

DragonRun08006.jpg

DragonRun08002.jpg

Whoa i like the BAT it looks nice on the blue one. But under 1k??!?!?!? Is that money wise or what? I was thinking more of like 300-400 bucks for that stuff. Does it really cost that much?? And how much work is required for the BAT set up? Just spring/struts?

Whoa i like the BAT it looks nice on the blue one. But under 1k??!?!?!? Is that money wise or what? I was thinking more of like 300-400 bucks for that stuff. Does it really cost that much?? And how much work is required for the BAT set up? Just spring/struts?
considering the BAT kit is about $625 (struts and springs) and you might as well replace the upper strut mounts and bearings all around (another $180+ depending on where you get them), under $1K is about right.

your other options are to buy performance struts and springs seperatly and still buy the upper mounts. depending on what struts and springs you go with you could end up spending more than $1K. for example, Koni struts generally run about $170+ EACH so you will spend about $700 just on struts. then you buy a set of springs for $150-200, and the upper strut mounts and you are up to over $1K.

Damn i guess i'm geting it lowered a little later than i thought. I really won't afford 1k just for lowering yet. But i still can get skirts n stuff. I guess.

You DONT have to buy anything but the springs if you dont want to. BUT if you dont get the struts you will need to sooner than later cause being dropped will wear them faster. Strut mounts are just easy to replace while you have everything apart, but then again with them you DONT have to replace them either. If all you do is springs, there is one time it will all be apart. then you do struts there is the second time its all torn down, then mounts would be 3 seperate times.

depending on your cars mileage you'll want the new mounts, bearings, and shocks/struts. If you put them in and then decide to change the rest later it just seems like a hassel to do twice the work when it could have been done all at the same time. Its not too hard to do, but i do recommend a friend with some experience if you don't know what to do. I'm not really sure how long it would take because i did a lot more than just my suspension when i installed mine.

My tour has 129k on it do you think i need mounts? And i can get help my brother is a mechanic so help is no problem. Its just money right now my job sucks and i can't seem to get another one at a automotive place.

Back