• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Vehicular Toy!

GrooveNerd

CEG'er
Near The People's Republic of Portland, OR
Okay, not brand new, but new (a month ago) to me! I found it online and e-mailed with the dude for almost two months before I had five days in a row to go look at it. I rented a car and drove to LA, checked it out, and ended up buying it. "It" is a 1993 Mercury Capri XR2, with the optional hardtop. At 132 HP/136 TQ, it's not as powerful as the SVT, but at around 2500 pounds, it's at least as quick! It has the same 1.6L 16V DOHC turbocharged engine as the Mazda 323 GT and GTX, and shares much of the running gear with them.

d0055a74.jpg

At purchase, it had 84,xxx miles on it. The body's decent, but not perfect. The interior is quite good, and much better than others I saw. Mechanically, it seems very good. With 2000 miles on the oil change (which the dude selling it was nice enough to do the day before I looked at it!), the oil was still fairly clean-looking and nowhere near black. He had already installed a front strut bar, and he also tossed-in an uninstalled manual boost kit.

I haven't modded it much yet, other than repairing the fog lights, installing double-platinum Autolite plugs, installing Hella H4 conversion headlights (oh, how I've missed those!) and installing the boost kit that came with it. I bumped the boost up from 7.5psi to 10psi. A company sells an ECU reprogram for $235, that's supposed to get another 29HP and extend the fuel map from 11psi to 15psi, so I may be getting one of those. :laugh: I need to do the fog light mod yet, and install a relay and wiring so I can use 100W high beams in the headlights. I also need to get urethane bushings for the suspension. I'd like to get some different wheels, but I may wait until these tires wear down some more, since they still have a lot of tread left on them. I also need some warm weather so I can take the hardtop off and enjoy the convertible feature! :D

The 1991-1994 Capris were built by Ford of Australia and sold in Australia and the US. In typical Ford tradition, they restyled them to look better in 1994, and then discontinued them. :rolleyes: In fact, they only made 366 of the XR2 models in 1994 -- between the US and Australia. (They did make significantly more of the standard model Capri that year.) If anyone wants more info about these cars, check out www.teamcapri.com and www.techcapri.com and the links sections on those sites.

And yes, I still have the SVT! :cool: (Although I did hit a friggin' CAT with it, which broke the lower grille and pushed the oil cooler into the AC condenser, putting two holes in it. :nonono: At first I felt bad for the cat, then when I saw my car bleeding, I was like "Screw the damn cat!" I backed up, expecting to see a big ol' furry cat-puddle, but I never even found it. F:censored:ing cat.)

Marty

My sister had one of those too. Nothing but electrical problems from day one for her. I think she ended up donating the car....IIRC she had a hard top too.

Swap a 1.8 in and put a bigger turbo on. JDM gtx-r swap is a real good start and not too expensive. It's a bit over 200hp and can easily take more. The engine is built (low compression, stronger rods,etc.), has oil squirters (I think all 1.8s do),etc.

(Although I did hit a friggin' CAT with it, which broke the lower grille and pushed the oil cooler into the AC condenser, putting two holes in it. :nonono: At first I felt bad for the cat, then when I saw my car bleeding, I was like "Screw the damn cat!" I backed up, expecting to see a big ol' furry cat-puddle, but I never even found it. F:censored:ing cat.)
dude, thats messed up.
:blackeye:

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Yeah, the wheels are something else, aren't they! :laugh: Plus, they're 4x114.5 bolt pattern, so it's kind of another wierd one, though somewhat more common than 4x108. The '94 XR2 wheels are really nice-looking 7-spoke ones -- too bad they didn't start making them in '93 instead. Also in '94, they did away with that red accent line around the car and just had all body-colored door strips instead of the black ones. The red accent doesn't look too bad on some colors, but green is not one of them. I'd have liked a black or metallic blue car, but this color isn't too bad. At least it's not "Hello Officer" Red!

I've been reading on Capri and 323 forums, and I think I've seen that you can even get around 200hp out of the 1.6L with a larger turbo, but I don't think I'm gonna go that far. Also, I read on at least one site that the 1990+ 1.6L has oil squirters too -- even the NA one. So yeah, definitely a good engine for modding! Although the 1.8L turbo would be even better! :cool: I've seen at least a couple of sites with the B6T-to-Festiva swap thing too -- that's gotta be one quick little econo-box! :crazy:

I had a '93 base model in the same color a couple years back - would've kept it, but couldn't import into Canada b/c it was never sold here. Very reliable while I had it, though it was slow with the 90hp NA engine. I looked for an XR2 initially but driving it, the brakes / suspension didn't feel suitable to the extra power.

I wish I'd had the hardtop, mine had the typical rips from the fold creases in the back and shruken roof/door seals so I got pretty soaked driving to and from work during the 2 weeks of rain for the year.

102_0270.JPG

A friend had one of them , although in white . He bought it new & hardly drove it , so it stayed nice . Last year he was driving it when it caught fire & burned to the ground :cry: . Unfortunately he didn't get much for it . I don't remember what he figured caused the fire .

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Yeah, the wheels are something else, aren't they! :laugh: Plus, they're 4x114.5 bolt pattern, so it's kind of another wierd one, though somewhat more common than 4x108. The '94 XR2 wheels are really nice-looking 7-spoke ones -- too bad they didn't start making them in '93 instead. Also in '94, they did away with that red accent line around the car and just had all body-colored door strips instead of the black ones. The red accent doesn't look too bad on some colors, but green is not one of them. I'd have liked a black or metallic blue car, but this color isn't too bad. At least it's not "Hello Officer" Red!

I've been reading on Capri and 323 forums, and I think I've seen that you can even get around 200hp out of the 1.6L with a larger turbo, but I don't think I'm gonna go that far. Also, I read on at least one site that the 1990+ 1.6L has oil squirters too -- even the NA one. So yeah, definitely a good engine for modding! Although the 1.8L turbo would be even better! :cool: I've seen at least a couple of sites with the B6T-to-Festiva swap thing too -- that's gotta be one quick little econo-box! :crazy:

u can get 200hp easily out of that motor.. forged crank, rods, oil squirters, and iron block. Those rods are actually an upgrade for the BP (1.8). very strong motor, it can make alot of powere but most just upgrade to the BP because of the displacement and since that motor makes sooo much more power on boost.

I've seen those before but never knew what the hell they were!

I actually kinda like it. As mentioned, color is a little meh. But tell you what, to see that car pull away from people with their big bad Honda civics and Accords would be funny as hell!

But tell you what, to see that car pull away from people with their big bad Honda civics and Accords would be funny as hell!

not likely unless you do some work to it first (or your against a crapper civic)...I beat the snot out of one w/ my stock civic si a couple years back. The turbo was in beautiful condition, nice looking car too (red). The guy wasn't young either, he really took good care of it. You don't see too many in good shape anymore. Nice find.

Back