• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Idles up & down..

TK95Contour

CEG'er
Just recently i noticed when i come to a stoplight or something , with the clutch pressed in and sitting there I idle at about 1400rpms but if i let it sit for a minute it will idle down to about 6-700... It also feels that when i tap the gas it stays winded up for longer than usually. I know all about the throttle hang fix and whatnot but it was never THIS bad. The idle going up and down is really what bothers me the most...

Anybody know what could cause this?? Ive searched and havnt found anything that matched my problems...:help:

if ur throttlebody is caked up with carbon deposits, this could happen. clean that first and see if its better. any CELs?

My CEL light has never worked.. Never been able to figure out that problem.. Been planning on a UIM/LIM cleaning sometime soon...

Probably unrelated but why are you sitting with the clutch pushed in?

When im sitting still and the cars in gear (like at a light or something) and the clutch is pressed in???

oh and btw:: i pulled off my intake (stock SVT unit) and noticed oil or something had been running out my intake back into the filter housing... Im not sure if maybe somebody over-oiled the K&N unit or what. I thought that was wierd... :shrug:

My CEL light has never worked.. Never been able to figure out that problem.. Been planning on a UIM/LIM cleaning sometime soon...

seems to be a common problem on pre98s. not sure why tho... i'd take care of that asap. cels are a car's' best friend, especially contours. spots trouble early.

oh and btw:: i pulled off my intake (stock SVT unit) and noticed oil or something had been running out my intake back into the filter housing... Im not sure if maybe somebody over-oiled the K&N unit or what. I thought that was wierd... :shrug:

its a blowby. its ok for a bit of oil to be there. if its dripping, then it needs to be adressed. that means its time for an upper/lower intakes & tb rebuild or cleaning.

I was going to buy a code reader and see if i could get codes that way... And what causes "blowby?"

The engine aging causes blowby. As the piston rings age they let more and more oily vapor past and that gets circulated through the pcv system. And since that system gets clean air from your intake hose you can get some of that oily vapor all the way up there. When you hear about oil catch cans thats what people are trying to catch and stop.

When im sitting still and the cars in gear (like at a light or something) and the clutch is pressed in???

Right. Why do you sit with the car in gear and the clutch pressed in?

seems to be a common problem on pre98s. not sure why tho... i'd take care of that asap. cels are a car's' best friend, especially contours. spots trouble early.

spot trouble early!??! almost 85% of the onwers here complain theris is ON all the time...

...plus we all know what the main problem is: 02 sensors are bad:crazy:

:laugh:

The engine aging causes blowby. As the piston rings age they let more and more oily vapor past and that gets circulated through the pcv system. And since that system gets clean air from your intake hose you can get some of that oily vapor all the way up there. When you hear about oil catch cans thats what people are trying to catch and stop.

Right. Why do you sit with the car in gear and the clutch pressed in?
maybe to be ready to luanch:cool:

if your intake is oily, i bet you your maf sensor is oily... get maf sensor cleaner and spray that thing down...

ditch that k&n intake because they are freaking junk... get a dry filter! don't get oiled filters..

Back